How can I get my almost 2 year old son to stop wanting to eat alone?

He cries when ever anyone else eats with him. He usually eats alone for breakfast and lunch but dinner I eat with him. My husband can only eat dinner with us one night a week because of work. He cries so bad when others are eating with him. It is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I have a hard time eating when he is screaming. And forget about having dinner at peoples homes. I am very frustrated.

snissa

Asked by snissa at 8:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, this is a good one. I've never heard of this and am anxious to hear some responses.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Crazy!! Can you give him his food while you are setting the table and getting dinner ready? Then while you and hubby eat, give him a toy and any food he hasn't finished. At least just have him sit at the table with you guys. Leave some food within his reach, but not right in front of him. Maybe he will start joining you!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• leave him alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• wow I have never heard of this either perhaps it is because it is a change in his "routine"..if he is eating meals by himself normally the extra people may be a distraction to him or a little overwhelming. Try working up to it gradually ...perhaps you can have one or two extra people around at snack time where things are a bit more casual. You may also want to try something like having hubby start out by eating on the other side of the room and gradually move a little closer to the table and and your son every 3 or 4 nights until he is at the table.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 8:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• haha, I know this is just crazy! Lady, I will try your ideas. Micheledo, that may work too, but he could get mad just looking at us eat. I don't know. I will try though. I don't want to leave him alone because the holidays are coming up and we will be eating over at families homes. It would be so bad if this doesn't stop by then.
    snissa

Answer by snissa at 12:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2009