carseat in front seat

has anyone every put the carseat up front [[facing backwards ofcourse]]? Whats the difference of doing that or riding in a truck?? My son HATES to be in the back by himself, he screams if i ever try to go by myself with him anywhere. So i usually dont. I havent put him in the front but im almost considering it.

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is absolutely not a good idea. ESPECIALLY if you have airbags.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• air bags can cause serious harm to your baby if deployed. In my state it is illegal to put your child in the front seat including in a single cab truck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Don't do it!! Especially if he is still backwards. I am not real crazy about car seats and all the laws. If I have to, I will put a car seat in the front, but it would be my oldest child and I would move the seat back as far as it would go. I don't think I would EVER put a backward facing infant in the front.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Try putting a mirror on the seat your child faces! My best friend has one (you know the kind so you can look back and see your child in your rearview mirror). Anyway, she said it is for the baby, not her!! He LOVES it and it keeps him happy.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had to have my daughter in the front, but only because we had a truck.. we had no choice.. but there was also no passenger side airbags.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 9:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We did it in our trunk also but had the airbags shut off. I would never do it just because the baby is crying. Can you imagine if something were to happen? What if you would just get pulled over? You could get child endangerment charges? Its not worth it. I know its heart breaking to hear your baby cry but it would be a lot more heart ache if they were to get injured.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• NEVER put a rear facing seat in a front seat or truck with airbags! If the child is forward facing and you can turn off the airbag (and a truck is your only option for a vehicle) that I guess I'd do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Kids 12 and under should ALWAYS ride in the back seat. This cuts their risk of death by 36%" "Don't put your kids in the front seat. Since the most common type of crash is frontal, the rear seat is the safest place for children to ride. A study by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) showed that children under 13 are up to 36-percent less likely to die if they are seated in the rear seat. " "Never place a rear-facing car safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle that has an active front passenger air bag. If the air bag inflates, it will hit the back of the car safety seat, right where your baby’s head is, and could cause serious injury or death."

Your child is going to have to get use to the backseat. Legally speaking the child will be there for quite some time. An unhappy baby is much better then the possibilities. An unhappy baby is an alive baby and that is all that matters!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009