homemade gift for a one year old...suggestions?

my friend invited me to her sons 1st bday this sunday. I dont know them too well, but I see them every week at the library playgroup, so I'm getting to know them a little bit. she's a very natural mama, and i'm tight on money, so I was thinking about making something for him. I can sew, knit and bake/cook... I was thinking a baby blanket, but is that more appropriate for a baby shower, or would it depend more on the design? maybe I could knit a winter hat? I would sew some pants but for all I know he'll grow out of them the following week lol. suggestions welcome!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i dont know but you could look online...ive heard of a recipe for like an edible playdough you could make...and then give it to him for a present, and the recipe to the mama...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• she makes him playdough all the time lol...I made my niece a book for her 1st bday...perhaps I could do the same for my friend's son!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• craaap figures...LOL well book isnt a bad idea!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I crochet my daughter stuffed animals all the time and she loves them.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I sewed my niece a name book for her 1st birthday. I made a flap on each page with one letter of her name, and under each flap was a picture (iron on) of something that starts with that letter. For her it was:
    A - apple
    U - umbrella
    D - dog (her dog's name is Dakota)
    R - rainbow
    E - elephant
    E - egg
    It had lots of Velcro because she liked things with Velcro.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 6:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Buy some fabric and make a big boy blanket, one that's not too babyish, and make it big enough to go into a toddler bed or be used as a cuddle/throw blanket later in life.
    aavinleilazora

Answer by aavinleilazora at 12:59 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• You might find something cool at www.looledo.com, theres a lot of cool stuff you can make with household items (milk cartons, cardboard, tape, etc). I like the Crazy Creatures the best :)

Looledo

Answer by Looledo at 2:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2009