Does anybody like or dislike the Ferber Method??

My 7 month old was sleeping all night in his own bed for several months. For the past few weeks he will wake up after a couple of hours and every time I try to put him in his crib he would wake up crying. The only way he will sleep all night now is if he is with me. Any suggestions on sleep techniques?

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I personally don't like Ferber but I do understand why people try his method. However, I would encourage you to look into the No Cry Sleep Solution but Elizabeth Pantley- it's much more gentle than Ferber.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sounds like my 2nd DD. Our solution was to just bring her in bed with us. Until she was about 18 months, we all just slept better that way, and we gradually had her in her crib for longer & longer stretches at night without waking up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I dont really like the method either, but it worked for me. My LO realized that if he screamed enough someone got him out of bed. When I finally left him, he'd go back to sleep. Now, he does use a paci, so he'd finally tire himself out after a few minutes, then i'd go back in, give him the paci and leave again. He'd usually go back to sleep. at first it took like 30 -45 minutes (not fun) but after a few nights it would lessen. And gradually he would sleep through the night. I also wonder tho, could your LO be teething?
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My DD was like that when we first brought her home. I didn't know what the Ferber method was until I just googled it.. and that would have never worked for my LO. She would scream in her crib for awhile... and it just broke my heart, so I never let her scream in her crib. My LO is only 2.5 months.. but i've got a routine I do with her to get ready for bed, which involves her sleeping in her play yard in the living room with us for a little while, until she's sound asleep. Once she's sound asleep i'll sneak her into her crib. When she wakes up to eat, I can usually get her back into her crib..but if I can't I let her fall back asleep on my chest, and then will eventually put her back in her crib. People would prob frown at what I do, but it works for us. I have gotten her to fall asleep IN her crib once, but I think she was already super tired. IDK if that helps, its not a method.. but it works.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yeah the Ferber method seems kind of harsh with all that crying. I can't let him cry! I'll try the no cry sleep solution.Thanks for that. Yes, my son is teething bad. 7 months old and not a single tooth yet! He was doing so well sleeping all by himself, but now he has to sleep right next to me. I hope it's the teething and when his teeth come in it will pass. Oh well, It wont be long before he wants to slop snuggling with Momma!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2009