Any new/different ideas on helping trigger contractions?

I am 39 wks, dialated 5 centimeters and 80% effaced. My husband is considering ( a dr talked to us about it today) having me induced, but I wanna do it Naturally. Any ideas? I haven't had NO contractions at all yet! Not even braxton hicks.

sherbear84

Asked by sherbear84 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't need to be induced. Labor doesn't care about the numbers. You aren't even overdue until your 42 week is entirely complete.

Your body is doing exactly what it needs to do to prepare for natural labor. I'm also 39 weeks and have had no Braxton Hicks that I've noticed (it doesn't mean I'm not having them...they might be so subtle and painless that they just don't warrant my attention) and no other obvious signs of labor starting. Not every woman has prodromal labor or pain. I'm not in any rush. As a first timer, I can expect to go to 41 weeks and a few days. Perfectly normal.

Just because you aren't noticing braxton hicks doesn't mean your uterus isn't doing anything. Tell your husband to be patient and leave you alone. There is nothing wrong with your body! As a doctor he should know that human gestation is a range between 37 and 42 weeks which is where they get that average!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well the only thing that worked for me was scheduling an induction. I was 40wks 10 days and the night before my induction I finally went into labour! Tell you hubby no way to being induced unless the baby is in trouble. I was induced with my 2nd and it hurts WAYYYYYYYYYY more than going natural- and this is from someone who had an unmedicated delivery with her 1st.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• play with your boobies! It causes the natural petosin(sp) to be released in your blood stream...........Granted you need to do it a lot, but I can imagine your uncomfortable(my friend stayed at 6cm for two weeks!)Try it, it helped speed up my last labor!
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 8:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• With an average, some people must labor earlier and some must labor later. As a matter of fact, some women go to 43 weeks just fine, they just gestate longer or their EDD was calculated using Naegles rule that just didn't fit with thier menstrual or gestational pattern.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Your husband's idea puts *his* preferences over baby's priorities. Have you discussed this with him?

You can talk with him about the fact that the baby is still inside because this is the *perfect* place for baby to be. Anything other would possibly add (unnecessary) risk~ especially a medical induction! :-(
    When considering the baby first, I think really talking with your husband might be a good start.

You can see from the vaginal exam, you are working on progress-- your body works and it will do it's things, in time. There are many factors to consider and home remedies don't tend to "take" unless these other factors are already lined up for labor, anyway. (*Ironic because it means labor is on it's way, anyhow!)
    ;-)
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The night b4 i went into labor I was feeling miserable so I did all of the "tricks." I ate a spicy dinner.. doesnt work for some ppl because of heartburn but i was lucky on that! I did yoga and walked. And they always say sex works! :) and it may be the last time for a while you do that! ;) good luck!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sex w/ orgasm ( both male and female is best, but male more crucial to starting labor ) is the most effective way. Next to that, nipple stimulation, a long vigorous walk, eating spicy foods or pineapple. Whatever you do, do not drink castor oil. It will only irritate your bowels and/or make you vomit.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009