Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Certificate, in the state of Pennsylvania ...

I am not married, but would like my daughter to take on my SO's last name ..
He changed his last name when he turned 19 from his mothers to his fathers ..
He has his birth certificate that says his mothers, but his lisence and everything is his fathers..
Do any of you know what they require at the birth certificate signing for proof?
or do they even need proof?
I have no idea obviously and need some help, thanks ladies .. =)


Asked by xohcannizzo at 8:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 2 (9 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I live in PA and I just had my dd last year. In PA you can give your kid any last name you choose. Even one you make up! Lol So thats not an issue at all. At the hospital, they have you SO sign a paper stating that he is the father and takes on all legal responsibilities (since youre not married). But thats it.

    Answer by ma2b08 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • No I dont believe they need proof I dont think they ever asked my SO for his license or anything. But when the birth comes he will need to fill out extra papers saying that he acknowledges that he is the father because the two of you are not married. Make sure you get those papers too because my aunt went through hell with her granddaughter

    Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Do you mean after your daughter is born? If that is the case I am from Pennsylvania and my DH and i were not married at the time my first son was born. We wanted our son to have my DH last name since we were planning on getting married and as long as he was the father nobody questioned anything. You can put any last name on your baby's Birth Cerificate as far as i know. You fill out the card at the hospital. Then you will get the birth cert. in the mail a couple of weeks later. Hope this helps and i hope i understood your question correctly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • yes thank you!! my daughter is due in November and I was just curious because I did'nt know if he would have to go through court and stuff to change it back legally, but if they dont ask for proof then we should be fine ..
    thank you again =)

    Answer by xohcannizzo at 9:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Where I live, we had to have someone notorize a form saying my bf was the father. Then i was able to put his name on the BC form & also have our daughter's last name as his. He had to show his driver's license to prove it was him. THat was all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009