how much formula does a 6 week old child be eating.. my friends son is eating a TON already 6oz every feeding isnt that to much??? im just wondering cause it seems like an awful lot

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every kid is different! My firstborn was drinking 8 oz plus when he was only a few weeks old. He had growth spurts constantly and was in 3 to 6 month clothing at 2 or 3 weeks!! He was tall, not fat! It really depends on the weight and height of the child. But 6 oz is possible and sometimes what they need!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A good way to tell how much the baby should be eating is by saying 2.5 oz per lb of the child. For example if the child is 10 lbs they should be eating 25 oz in a 24 hour period. So if the child is only eating a few times a day with 6 oz then I guess thats ok. But if she is feeding him 6 oz every few hours then that is probably way too much. But I agree, I think 6 weeks is very young for 6 oz.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well if your not forcing it and he is really wanting it, showing signs of being hungry after less than that, and your doctor says its okay, and is not throwing up a large amount after a feeding...baby might jus really need that much. My son is really long so he has always wanted more, sometimes more than his stomache seems to be able to hold so It took some very fine tuning to get his feeding schedule down...go with your gut, you will know if your baby is full or needs more.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009