have one child? are you done?

I have one child, he's a young toddler. when he was a newborn SO told me "perhaps he'll have a sibling oneday". well tonight I asked if he'd like another baby someday and he said he's happy with one. I dunno...I feel kinda guilty with an only child. I have a sister, SO has 2 sisters, I always ask myself "what if I have another baby" when looking through outgrown clothes or furniture and store them instead of give them away... it seems like everyone I meet has more than 1 child, is under the age of 25.... anyone else feel this way? are you happy with one child? do you feel guilty for this decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Dont worry, I asked SO last night if he wanted more children and he said maybe in 5-10 years. Yeah uh huh right! I told him I want another by the time she is 3 because I am not trying for them to be far apart. I am only 20 almost 21 so I can wait another year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a 13 yr old son, I am done. Well, I shoud say that I am not going to plan a pregnancy but if one happens, I wouldn't be upset. I am 38 so if it happens it needs to be soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a 16 year old and am DONE! I grew up with 1 brother and 1 sister then when my parents divorced and remarried in my teens I gained 6 siblings on one side and 4 on the other, DH is the youngest of 6 so it is very different for our son than it was for us, but one works for us. Plus DS is from my ex, but we have been with DH since DS was 11 months old and DH cannot have children, we considered adopting but decided against it. It just depends on what is right for your family.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I ended up having 2 children but when Ds was little i was sure i didn't want another. It seemed so great that I would be able to afford to do so much more with and for him if we didn't have any more. There was a month that I was late by like 2 weeks and I was so upset because i though my only child plans were ruined. I was shocked to find myself devastated that it was negative! WE started trying the next month. You never know what can happen to change yours or DH thoughts on the matter. Don't lock your self into anything. There are pluses to both sides!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• For those who said ,they were near 40,and their child was over 13. Well,a friend of my DD,is 42,her child is 22 yrs. old,guess what, she just had a bouncing baby boy last week, she is so thrilled and still in shock.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I go back and forth all the time on whether I want another or not. I am an only and don't have half the funny stories that DH does with having 2 older brothers. Another thing I have been thinking alot more about with being an only is the lack of help I will have when and if my parents need to be taken care of. I don't want my son to have to go through what I am going to have to deal with if my parents need to be cared for. Dh and I decided we would talk about having another one in a year.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My brother said the same thing for 7 1/2 years.. He was done with one but now they have 2 beautiful sons. A 7 year old and a 1 month old and he couldn't possibly love the new baby any more than he does.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a 21 month old. I have no desire whatsoever to have anymore children. I have already been blessed beyond my wildest imagination (I had/have fertility issues). Plus, I am in the process of a divorce and I do not want to have multiple children by multiple men (not knockin anyone who has done this, just sayin its not for me)
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• OP HERE I have a dr appt next month and will be prescribed BC, so I dont see us TTC anytime soon, and doesnt it take a long time for BC t get out of your system when TTC? I hate focusing on the financial situation as the "main reason" for keeping one child...ya know? I mean it isnt..... SO seems to focus on that reason right now. I'd hate for our son to grow up "alone". and I said I would like to get back to work (I'm a sahm) when my son is in school, but in my head I want to TTC around that timeframe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009