If its past bedtime should I still read story?

School is in session and time to be strict on bedtime again. If the kids dont get to bed in time should I still read a story? I feel its important to read but so is learning to follow rules and get enough sleep.
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I suppose it depends on how much later it is and why! If it is the child's fault then I would remind them they don't get a story when they waste time. If it is through circumstances beyond their control, I would just pick a really short book!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I see reading at bedtime as important enough to do even if they are late getting into bed. Also, my kids' school has a reading club adn if they read 15mins each night for 200 nights they get a special certificate and I think it's important for them to participate in that so we never miss story dureing the school year. We are a bit more lax in the summer though.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 9:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would try something else so if they dont get in when you tell them to get in let them know they are going to loose minute for minute tomorrow of TV or video game time (or whatever)

So my DD bed time is between 8 and 830 out routine goes like this Dinner at 6- bath at 7 -book and bed I turn the TV on while I bath one ...then they switch and we usually watch sprout together from 730---8 or 815-- if my dd gives me a hard time and it is 835 pm and she aint in bed... tomorrow night she looses TV time so while I'm bathing DS she's folding laundry or emptying a dish washer instead of TV... but I leave if OFF minute for minute after 830
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, read to them...you can keep it short.OR If they are tired they will go to sleep in the middle of the story...right? So then you have accomplished both...bedtime & a story. Read them to sleep. Get a book lite so that it doesnt keep them awake...The routine uninterrupted will help them more.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I say read the book! Just make it a short one. That's always the deal with my son. Plus a bedtime story is part of the routine. If they say 'But we wanna read THIS book!' then you say "sorry, but you took too long getting ready for bed, so we only have time for this book".
    Always always take the chance to read to your kids!
    AngieMay

Answer by AngieMay at 11:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Nope. Ours dawdles. He knows that if that happens he doesn't get his story. I try to make up for it by reading one earlier the next day. But he doesn't get to stay up later to get the story when it's his fault for not getting it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would read them a short story. My son's bedtime is 8:30 but I tell him it is 8pm so if he stays up to 8:30 he thinks he got lucky. But I read to him at least 5 minutes even if it is getting late.
    slluebcke

Answer by slluebcke at 2:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009