So did your k-5 student take anything away from that speech today? lol

My 5 year old when I asked what the president said he told me 'don't quit or the country will break' i asked him what else and he said 'I dunno, stuff'
I'm not real sure why they showed it to the Elm. students. I mean It doesn't bother me I just think it's funny because how many of them actually got it? Did yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm starting to wonder how far behind my almost... 5 yr son is.......He would never sit and watch anything remotely political,, then tell me in fragments, his thoughts. He is too bust wondering about super heros.
    No offense, just my thoughts here
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes, and my son is only 4,not only him,but all my children learned something. It depends also how you ask your son,and also how often you tell him how important it is for him, to go to school, stay focus, and try hard, that's all President Obama said,so,if your son didn't understand that,that mean he don't understand you either,or you aren't teaching him. Either way,you can't blame the President for this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Op Not blaming the pres. Don't really care about the speech it's self. Not a problem he can make what ever speeches he wants that part of being the president... I just think that it was boring (because he is young ) and over his head that's all. His teachers chose not to do any pre-planning or post work on it. They just all filed in to the cafeteria at the end of the day and watch it before loading onto the buses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I asked my 7 year old and he was able to tell me that he talked about staying in school. He couldn't give me any specifics. I'm not really sure how much of an effect it had...It didn't hurt for him to see it though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My elementary kids are older and said that they liked it. In fact, DS1, who is in 6th only got to watch a small portion due to whatever period he was in at the time. He said that he would like to watch the whole thing. Again, he is far removed from kinder, as is DD, who is in 5th and said that it was interesting.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Op. Yeah see that makes sense the older kids could get it and have the patience to sit through it with out looking around the room...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I home school and we watched the speech with our 5 and 4 yr olds after lunch. My kids understood it, but only because we sat down and talked about it afterwards- we reinforced what was said about staying in school and making something of your life. My 5 yr old says he wants to be the president when he grows up now lol, I told him well in that case your gonna have to do what he said and try your best at everything you do and he said ok mommy!

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OP we tried to talk about it but with me not there at the time to make him pay attention he just missed it all and what he did get was pretty much gone by the time he got home...This is were home schooling would come in handy...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My kids go to a very small Montessori school, and there was this massive realization this morning.... the school does not OWN a TV!!!! Doubt they'll be buying one either. If the teachers had shown it, they would have talked to the kids afterwards and helped reinforce it. There are kids there who I'm sure would have gotten it.
    Jesterqueen

Answer by Jesterqueen at 10:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009