Would you let your child wear jewelry from another relgion?

For example, a girl was wearing a crucifix the other day. I was a bit surprised she was wearing it because she is not Catholic and never goes to church. I saw nothing wrong with it. I wonder how many pagan or atheist parents would let their middle school child wear a crucifix or a Christian mom that would let their kids wear a wiccan sign.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic and I don't go to church. It doesn't mean that I don't believe that Jesus died on the cross or that don't believe what it stands for.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Depends on why. For example, I would never let my son wear a Rasta hat unless he could tell me exactly what it means (unlike the majority of teenage kids who run around wearing rasta hats because the think it means getting stoned is cool and have no idea it's even a religious symbol).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm an atheist and myself wore a cross for about a year. It was my grandfather's before me. He wore it throughout his service in the military. When I went off to the military I wore it, even though my Dog tags said "No religious preference". Occasionally I wear a celtic knot as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was taught that a crucifix is a christian-thing, not just catholic! anyways, yes I'd let my child wear a religious symbol, but only if he understood/followed that religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am humanist and i would let my DD wear a crucifix- but only if she understood the signifigance of it and that it was a religious symbol (same with any other religious symbol from any other religion). I think it is not right to wear religious symbols only as decoration but that the person wearing it should understand the what it means even if they don't follow that religion themselves.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 9:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't care what my daughter wears as long as she knows and understands the true meaning behind it and is not just wearing it to be "trendy" (which could be why the girl you saw was wearing the crucifix, or maybe not).

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't care either way, whether they believed and followed the religion or not. There are pieces of art in the shape of religious symbols, but a person can appreciate the beauty of the art or jewelry without being a part of the religion.
    People wear all kinds of Asian characters on clothing and stuff without understanding just what they mean (they could say "stupid comsumer" for all they know), and it's kind of dumb and trendy, but they have a right to wear or display it even thoughg they are not Asian.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think that the significance to the wearer can differ from the significance to the perceiver, so we shouldn't judge someone by saying 'Why is she wearing that? She doesn't believe what I think someone wearing that symbol should believe.' I'm a Buddhist, but sometimes wear crosses. In one case, it's a piece of jewelry that has been handed down through my family. In another case, it's something I wear in memory of a pregnancy loss several years ago. I would let my kids wear a symbol of another faith, but would talk to them about what it means to people who are going to see it. Kids sometimes perceive differently, especially young kids- my oldest girl is five and badly wants a necklace like what her Hindu Grandma has... it's an om sign but she perceives it as the number three!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The reference to "Catholic" is because my daughter and most of her friends are Catholic, therefore the girl is around mostly Catholics. Her mother, who is also a friend of mine, refused to get her baptised. It seems the girl wants to be Catholic now but it is going to take several months of classes. I didn't bring all this up because it starts a whole new debate. This girl and her brother are both upset they didn't get baptised as children. They were put in Catholic schools but the parents refused to allow them the sacraments until they could make the choice. they feel a little jipped everyone else was able to received the gifts as children. (like I said whole other topic. But that is why I said Catholic)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• so long as my child truly understands the meaning behind the symbol, i'd be okay with it. even if thats not the reason she is wearing it, id still want her to know that other ppl will perceive it that way. i feel the same way about stuff in other languages.

i think its fine to wear jewelry of a religion you dont belong to, especially if its an heirloom & you know the true meaning behind it even if you dont believe it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009