Do you have to go to church to be a Christian?

Just curious of some of your opinions...

Do you believe that you're not a Christian if you don't go to church? Same question applies to other religions....

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im a Christian but i do not belong to a church. i do go a few times a month, but not for the fellowship, but for the worship. church is what is wrong w/ Christianity (imo). not all churches are bad, but its the church that makes up rules that dont always work with the Bible. so many churches are houses of gossip & full of cliques that its a waste of my spiritual energy to be apart of that.

so i believe whole-heartedly that someone can be a Christian without going to church. its just a building, nothing more. and i think that goes for all faiths.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Going to church makes you a Christian as much as standing in the garage makes you a car. I'd question the faith of anyone who needs a building to have it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Going to church makes you a Christian like going to the garage makes you a car."
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• creepy stalker! :p
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• :P
    I only stalk you cause I love you. LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Absolutely not. I stopped going to church because I got sick of the "Sunday Christians". They acted like Christians when it looked good, like when doing charity work or at sunday school but when it came down to it they would slit the throat of another christian to get ahead. The church I grew up in was torn to pieces because of 2 families that didn't like our youth pastor that came here from Canada. They started spreading rumors about him and ended up turning alot of the rest of the church against his family until he finally resigned. Then the families that wanted him to leave decided that since he left their job was done and they packed up and started going to another church. I mean they could have done that in the first place instead of spreading lies but they just wanted to get their way before they moved on and ruined an entire church family in the process. I don't want to deal with that again.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It says in the scripture that God dwelleth not in temples made with hands..so a specific church building in not important since your body is the temple for God's Holy Spirit. The faith I belong to doesn't have a church building. Also, when the minister's are preaching the Gospel, we often resort to a building that is rented out. Non-denominationl, no collections, homeless ministry, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with NP. Church can be a good thing in terms of someone's faith, but its not necessary.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Church doesnt make you a Christian... Your personal relationship with God does. A building does nothing but fellowship helps you in your walk and relationship with Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's part of being a practicing Christian. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009