how often do you breastfeed your baby and how do you know if they are full?

do you set a time for each breast and let them feed and then feed them a couple hours later or what?how do you know that there full.how many times a day do you breastfeed them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i breastfed on demand. meaning i guess she was on the boob about 10 times a day.she would feed off of eah boob for about 15 minutes. i know that she is full when she pulls off and if no longer fussy. she would *usually* feed about every 2 hours and then when she got older it spaced out more.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They will pull off when they are full. Let them nurse as long as they want, on both sides. As far as how often, I nursed on demand to, and my kids nursed about every 3 hours and at night would nurse about every 4 or 5 hours.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• each time you fed her was it both breast in one feeding?or was it one breast one feeding then the 2nd breast another feeding?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i used both breasts,.unless she was just 'snacking' then it was one breast
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's varied as my baby's grown. When she was a newborn, there were days when she'd eat every hour, sometimes even more often. Then she got into a groove of every 2-3 hours, and now at almost 5 months it's closer to 3-4 hours. Most of the time it's on both breasts, but there have been times when she's only eaten on one side and that's held her over for 3 hours, or even overnight sometimes. Basically the only thing you can do is follow the baby's cues; feed when they're hungry, when they spit out the nipple burp them and try the other side, if they take it then let them eat until they spit out that nipple and turn their head, and if they don't take the second side that's not a big deal. Babies know when they're hungry and when they're not, and generally you'll have a hard time getting a baby who's not hungry to eat.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• well everyone answers here are right but you could tell when the baby sucks off the the nipple he/she dosesnt want anymore.thats what my docter said and seemed to be true lol
    tashababii

Answer by tashababii at 10:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• on demand here. she probably eats between 7 and 15 times in a 24 hour period, depending on what we're doing (like if we're at home all day or if we're out and about, etc.). Sometimes she'd rather "snack" throughout the day, but if we're out, she'll take full feedings in the car before we go in somewhere, like shopping or something). Sometimes she'll only eat for a couple minutes, sometimes she'll take about 30 minutes, especially if she's nursing to sleep. She ate a LOT more often at first though (She's 5 months now). I know she's getting enough because she has good diaper count, is gaining weight well, and is happy.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• oh, and she doesn't always want both boobs for each feeding. I don't really pay much attention to what side she eats off of- sometimes I'll feel my boobs with my hands to feel which one seems "fuller" and I'll stick her on that one. Sometimes if she just takes a quick "snack" on one side, I'll stick her back on it at the next feeding to make sure she drains it of any hindmilk. If I put her on one side and she fusses after I get her latched on, I switch sides and that usually solves that problem.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I let my babies nurse as long as they needed to, as often as they needed to. That's the best way to make sure they get enough milk. Latch baby on. When baby comes off the first breast, burp, and offer the opposite breast. That's it. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Feed ON DEMAND. No matter how long, no matter how often. Toss your timepieces. Bbay will come off on his own when he's full.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009