does anyone out there deal with night terrors with their child(ren)??

my son has always woke up at random times in the middle of the night crying. and usually i just go in his room, and reassure him that i'm there and it's all right and he usually settles down within 10 minutes. but for the past 3 weeks, he's been waking up in the middle of the night, screaming bloody murder 'mommy' and walks around the house. but he seems to still be asleep. it takes me hours to get him to calm down. and when i try to hold him, he pushes me away and screams louder. i have hardly slept. my husband works midnights so it's just me home with him. and it's not only affecting me, but his younger brother who he shares a room with. it's been waking him up and then we can't him to go back to sleep either. any help is appreciated. thanks.

MelindaFeeney

Asked by MelindaFeeney at 9:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both my children have night terrors and really there isnt much you can do for them other than make sure their environment is safe and be there when they come to after the terror ends! AS far as getting him to go back to sleep we used one of those soothing sounds machines that plays like ocean sounds and stuff and used a blue light night light to create a soothing environment after the bad dream and yes it took a while to get them used to it but we still use it now! hope this helps
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• well i dont deal with them in my children but i myself have been dealing with night terrors since i was a very small child and what elananme said will help, i know a soon to be 27 year old that still has to have some light on in the house when she sleeps, sounds funny almost a joke but it's not. Some people grow out of them and some people like do not and the dreams only get more vivid as you get older so try to get your kids calm and relaxed at a young age... also i do have one of the machines too
    Saberlilly

Answer by Saberlilly at 5:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Agree with answer #1. My son had these episodes and I figured out he had gas. He just couldn't tell me his tummy hurt but I could hear it. I would just hold him,rock him and sometimes pace the floor with him until he fell back to sleep.Every child is different this is just what happpened in my case. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2009