When to use My Pump? After a feeding or before?

I am a new mother of a newborn baby, I was wondering how to make more milk? I am frustrated. My baby poops/ pees 7-11 diapers a day, isn't that a good sign she's getting enough to eat? She has lost some weight after My birth, I know it's completely normal.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 9:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She sounds good to me! Usually you pump after the baby nurses to increase your supply. You won't get much though. I don't know if it is a good idea, but when I needed to store some milk I would pick one feeding a day and pump before nursing. Of course that didn't leave a lot for the baby and I would have to nurse again in another hour or so, but it was the easiest way for me to increase my supply and get some stored! I wouldn't do it every time, but I don't think one feeding a day would hurt.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You're doing fine. I wouldn't worry about the pump right now, unless you're going back to work very shortly. Two weeks before going back, start pumping WHILE nursing. Doesn't short the baby one bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009