Do you pump breast Milk?

I do, but I haven't been able to get more then 4 oz yet, is that still normal? My baby is still only 16 days old, she eats regularly and is on a schedule, sometimes every hour, and other times, before 4 hrs. But any way's. After I feed My baby, I don't have much milk left until like another hour or 3 hrs. Is that normal? Because how am I going to pump and make a lot for her while I go back to work?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 9:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone gets a different amount, because each mom responds to a pump differently. Don't look at what comes out when you pump as the only indicator of what you are producing.
    IMO, for 16 days old, 4 ounces is amazing! The most I ever got was about 7-8 oz total from both breasts, forst thing in the morning, or if I was held up too long at work and missed a pumping session. My 2nd dd never took a bottle, but when my 1st dd got bottles of pumped milk, she rarely finished a 4 ounce bottle. I nursed and pumped for a year each time and donated extra milk.
    If you will have a daycare or a sitter giving a bottle, I'd store milk in 4-6 ounce bags and have them start each feeding with about that much if that's what you can get from each pumping session.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't know how you will get a lot stored up. So sorry and I wish I could help you. Keep at it though!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I misunderstood the op, if you're NOT getting 4 ounces yet, that's totally normal. The 7-8 ounces I got was later on, after I was used to pumping a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If you try feeding on one side and pumping the other, or feeding baby then pumping both, you will stimulate the breasts more and cause more milk to be produced. Try not to stress out about pumping enough, because that just makes it harder on you. I used to take a pic of my dd and a hat or blanket that smelled like baby lotion so I could smell it and think about nmursing to stimulate let down. It sounds weird, but it worked.
    When you pump and you are away from the baby, if you can have the sitter call you when the baby is hungry, and try to pump at the same time, you'll get into a routine. It's all supply and demand, so your body will get used to pumping more. Don't watch the clock when you pump, and don't watch the measurments on the bottles. Pump until you feel like your breasts are emptied, then a minute or two more, and you might have a second let down and be able to get another ounce or 2.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OH Ok Good! Wow I was going to say 7-8 for being a new Mom is still a lot, I suppose from Both Breasts if I pumped in the morning I would get tons, but I save it for My baby, I know I need like 4-5 bags of Milk each being 4-7 ounces, so that's a lot, I need to find time to pump and get as much as I can stored for My Baby, when I am at home I will nurse her, but I will use bottle for her while she's at the baby sitters. I will be gone 2-3 days for 8 hrs each, that's why I need a lot to store, I know at work I will pump as much as I can!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 9:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Your supply is really good, so don't worry about that at all.
    As far as getting a frozen supply... most of what you will need you will pump at work and the baby will eat the next day when you are gone... so you really only need 1 days supply stored up which you can do easily. (however it's nice to have a nice stock pile)
    What I did was before bed each night I would pump after he was already in bed. Your body will adjust to having you pump the same time evey night so you will start to make more milk at that time. And then in the morning before work, after he had already eaten I would pump again (because then I was nice and empty and not all engorged at work)
    I had TONS of milk stored up because I thought he would need it... I used the stored milk to most on Monday's when I hadn't pumped all weekend.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009