do you stick to nap schedules on weekends?

i feel lately that we have abided by 21 month old son's schedule too much on weekends. we only plan things around his nap, while my sister with two kids just plans her kids naps around their schedule - sometimes skipping naps altogether and having them pass out at 3pm or in the car ride in between places. i'm curious what other parents do - have you stopped being so strict around naptime (and mealtime) on weekends with your toddlers? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am SUPER strict about nap time. I couldn't survive otherwise. My second born is SO hyper and goes into an insane mode if he misses a nap. If the nap is too late in the day, bedtime is a hUGE battle! If hubby happens to be working that night, well I am just not up for a battle when I have 3 kids 3 years and under to put to bed. My brother and his wife are not real strict. It works for them, but not for ME!!! Do what is best for your family.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have to be strict with their nap time. I don't want my daughters to be sluggish any day so I make sure they have a curfew. On the weekdays, it's 8:00 bedtime for them. On weekends, it's 9:00 bedtime. Either way, they don't stay up past 9 which is really good, since both of them are hyper all day!
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would say 90 percent of the time I make sure to get some kind of nap in as close to the regular time as possible. Sometimes it just can't happen on time but it will happen. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We try to work around her schedule for naps as much as possible. She's a real crab and not very pleasant to deal with if her food and sleep don't come at the time's she's used to. Friday nights, bedtime generally gets pushed back because we go to the drive in movies. I agree with the above post - you know your child and your family - if you're able to adjust nap time on the weekends without adverse effects on your child, do it.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You don't say how old your sisters kids are. I have a 22 month old and it's very important he get a nap on the weekends because he gets very long ones in vs. at school when he gets short naps. I'm very strict about especially since sleep is so important at that age.

I am not so strict on the timing. I need it to happen anywhere between 12 and 2 so he gets up between 2 and 4.

I have a 5 year old girl and she can go on and on and may or may not need a nap... that's why I mentioned the age of your sisters kids. They may have different needs.

All you can do is recognize whats best for your son and accomodate for that. Good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We never worried about our kids schedules really. If we had somewhere to go or something to do we do it. Our kids are very flexible and they can sleep pretty much anywhere. My 2 1/2 yr. old will fall asleep in the stroller if we are out somewhere. I also have a 1 1/2 yr old and and a 4 week old. On weekends if we are planning a trip (such as the lake we go to) that is 45 min. or more away we will leave on purpose at a time where they will fall asleep in the car but if they don't it is no big deal, they just go to bed really early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i dont.
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 12:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I try to stick to it, but Im not religious about it. DD WILL get her nap on the weekends (she's 22 mos) but some days its at noon, and some days its at 2. If I can't get us into gear and out the door to run errands by 11, her nap takes priority over the errands. If I get us out and about early, we are home by 12 to eat lunch and then nap, then finish the errands when she wakes up.

I used to be very strict about naps and bedtime when she was younger. Then I stopped, because hey, ya only live once. You can only get those pics of your 2 year old watching fireworks one time, so the cranky child for a few hours is worth it, to me :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We aren't strict about nap times. She passes out when she is ready. Bedtime is whole other game. If my LO hasn't had dinner by 7 and then bed by 8 you can bet that the next day it going to be obnoxious. But we let our LO do child led napping. When she is tired she take a nap and it could last anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 or 4. It all depends on her and her needs. We don't disturb naps though. We let her sleep.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I try, not it's not set in stone. If we go to the zoo, she naps after. If we're out shopping, she'll nap later or go to bed early if she's decided to fight off the nap all day. If she wakes up late, I push the nap back, too. It just depends. I don't want her to be so rigid with her schedule that she can't do anything else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009