Two kids (30M & 19M), how much should the sitter get paid hourly?

We live in an apt building together. We're three floors apart. Should I let my kids go to her place or should she babysit at mine? At her place, her mother would be there just in case. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• how old is she? you say her mother would be there, so i'm guessing teenage. you'd want her to come to your place, its still the same complex so if she needs mom she can just call. but at your place they have their stuff. as far as pay, i'd say about $8-$10 an hour depending on age, if shes taken any babysitting classes, cpr cert, experience etc....
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I pay mine $12 for an almost 3 year old and a 4 month old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• no classes to my knowledge. thanks I truly didn't think about that. I normally don't use sitters outside of relatives. And they have had kids of their own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If it's for night, I'd keep her at your house. I don't know, I pay college students 11-12 an hour.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• most libraries offer child care classes. has she babysat before though? if not i'd have her come over to your house for an hour or two, pay her while she is there, and she is the one in charge. you can be in another room doing your thing, but that way the kids get used to her being there w/o you right there, and if she has a problem with something or can't figure out a way to work with the kids you are right there to show her, so when she is alone w/them she can handle it. i started babysitting at 11 and did this w/every one i watched til i was about 15, that way the parents knew i could handle normal arguments etc among the kids the same way they would, and the kids and i knew each other so it wasn't total fear when parents left.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009