worried about preschool...any suggestions??

My son will be 3 at the end of this month-he starts preschool next monday,and I just have a bad feeling that he is going to cry&throw a fit when it comes time for me to leave him because he's never really had to be "away" from me&daddy at the same time very often,and when we would leave he'd be with my parents.Any suggestions on how to make the first day go as smooth as possible??

dakotasmommy06

Asked by dakotasmommy06 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If possible, arrange for him to go meet his teacher and/or see his classroom before he starts. Talk up how much fun he's going to have, the things he'll be doing (snack time, play time, seeing other kids, arts and crafts, whatever he really likes), and how great it's going to be. Be positive and upbeat about it as much as you can be. And stay that way when you drop him off! The teachers are used to problems with tears - trust them, and don't get upset if he gets upset. If he does get upset, remind him about the fun things he'll do, and that you'll be back for him really soon.

We just went through this - DS started preschool in mid-August, he was three in May. He's never been in daycare or anything similar to it. He was a little clingy the first two days (it's a two-morning a week program), he does great now. He loves going to school. There's one child in his class who still cries every morning, but they do adapt.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Is it OK to stay with him for awhile ? I stayed my sons first day of preschool,he had never even had a babysitter so it was kind of rough on him at first.
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We had open house tonight so he was able to meet his teacher,and explore the classroom and what not.I mentioned my concerns to the teacher and she said parents are welcome ANYTIME,but for the first week or two she reccommends only staying 15 or 20 minutes a day and then just slipping out while he isn't paying attention that way he doesn't get super clingy if i were to be there the whole time,she said once he gets into a routine then I could stay all day long and he probably wouldnt even say two words to me lol It's just kinda nerve racking on me as a mommy,and I know its going to take time for him to adjust too.Here they go 4 days a week for almost 4 hours!! God give us STRENGTH lol
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's worse for you than it is for him. I promise. My son's first day of preschool was last Wednesday and he just went back today for his 2nd I was a nervous wreck the first day even though my son is fine being away from me, I wasn't at all. I counted down the time until I could go get him LOL.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009