Can A dad have off work to take his sons into the DR.?

So if you're a caring Dad. Both of your Toddlers boys are very Ill! Needing Daddy. You take both in at the only time you can get in. Both boys have double ear infections! You go into work late! You have the DR.'s excuse. You go to HR. She says that doesn't count. You're unexcused that's not a valid Excuse! She also can't have children so she has none! But can't A father take in his toddlers? Isn't that a valid excuse? What should you do? I mean there are times sometimes they want Daddy! Right? Or both when they're ill, hurting & whinny? What can be done to protect your Job? Yes its a large plant! Yes there's a union! What do you suggest?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Health

• I would never ask my dh to take off work to come with me to the Dr's his job it more important. Unless it was life threatening
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i agree. my works more important. and besides the company would probably say no. depending on how important he was to his company.
    PrincessSmasher

Answer by PrincessSmasher at 10:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Wow! Check the business policy on time off for family. Most allow sick days for wife or children. Otherwise, if they allow a woman to take off for her kids, I would say it is discrimination. That's crazy!! Unless they are a company who doesn't allow mothers or fathers to care for sick children.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ... nothing can protect your job. the union won't help. its doesn't sound like an emergency.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• why can't you take them.
    Anonymous

• i agree why can't you just take them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I feel that if he would have called and taken non-pay vacation it would have been fine but just showing up late with a doctor's excuse for a toddler doesn't seem good enough to me.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 10:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Are you all kidding me? Your work is more important than your kids? He wasn't out having icecream with them for goodness sake. Yes, work is important but being there for your kids and spouse is too. If he is not chronically late with lame excuses, then I don't see the issue. As a mom, if I had to be late for work b/c of my child (and it has happened) I am fortunate my job would understand. I would check his company's late policy (most have an employee handbook to reference)-sounds like reverse discrimination to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• He needs to review his employee handbook; this will have the guidelines for sick/PTO/vacation time. He should also check with his union

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Did he call and say he would be late due to a child's doctor's appointment or did he just take it upon himself to not show up, no call and go afterwards? If it was the second one than your husband was in the wrong. And also check the Family Medical Leave Act that applies to both men and women.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009