If Washington D.C is not part of the 50 U.S. states, what is it?

I know D.C. stands for District of Columbia but what does this really mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Washington D.C is an entity unto itself. It's not apart of a state at all. It provides as a federal district for the President and Congress and is the capital of the USA.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's just a district, yea what bexi said. It's too tiny to even be a state. I think it's smaller than Rhode Island.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 10:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• THey want statehood, though. I think it would be better if they had it. They pay taxes, have reps, but the reps can't vote. The city exists in almost a limbo, because it's not a state, it's a federal district. There is a mayor and city council, but Congress oversees a lot of district affairs, and that is not entirely fair.

DC is a mess. There are pockets that are doing well, and I have to wonder when I see the decisions the people who live there make for their elected officials, but they deserve to be a state. They have to pay like the states do, but they sure get a lot of federal oversight like the states don't. They don't have the autonomy like the states do.

What they also have is a cell phone law, and heaven help you if you get caught. It is a great city, there is so much history there, but it is not a priority for Congress, and so is neglected. It needs home rule and statehood.

Just a former resident PO
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was always taught that the nation's capital was not put in any state. It didn't want the state to be responsible for the capital or to be able to misuse the capital (do as we want or we will not provide services type thing). The citizens of the capital are "taken care of" by the citizens of the nation which is why there have never been representatives in Congress from D.C. I don't think
    D.C. should be a state, but they may need to have a representative sat in the House.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009