The truth about Czars

I just heard this great bit of information from Rachel Maddow. The term Czar was actually coined by President Nixon and is only a nick name for any position with a cumbersome title. They are directors of policy departments and most (I don't know exact numbers) were established by prior administrations with little or no controversy. It is basically a kin to calling the Poster Master General the "Mail Czar." George W Bush even had a Bird Flu Czar.

Don't you think that's interesting?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 10:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• All of those things listed need extra attention. Obama may be guilty of trying to tackle everything at once, that's the worst of it that I can see. People you trust to do your research for you and recommend decisions are important in any organization. Most of those throwing a fit about these Czars don't have any idea of what they actually are doing, and therefore are fearfully assuming the worst. Also, if you think Obama is a "Socialist," you are certainly not going to agree with his progressive, liberal, advisers. That's just the breaks.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The term czar (or tsar) has been around for much longer than Nixon. Do you mean in relation to US appointments?
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• oh my goodness.....maddow...really? If you listen to HER for truths and facts and interesting info I sure as hell hope you are one in the Glenn beck bashing club!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• LOL...NOT one in the glann beck bashing club...oops
    ...
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, I am aware of the historical context of the word, thanks. I meant in reference to US Government positions.

momof030404, Rachel Maddow is biased yes, but she is also very smart and blows Glen Beck out of the water. If you don't like my source look into it for yourself.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yeah Rachel Maddow is a dumbarse! Here is some history for you.
    Franklin Roosevelt had 12
    Harry Truman had 6
    Dwight Eisenhower had 1
    Lyndon Johnson had 3
    Richard Nixon had 2
    Gerald Ford had 1
    Jimmy Carter had 2
    Ronald Reagan had 1
    George H. W. Bush had 2
    Bill Clinton had 6
    George W. Bush had 26
    Barack Obama 36
    _________
    Now do you see why we care... Dems complained about how many Bush had but Obama has exceeded that number!

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I love Rachel Maddow. She and Keith Olbermann call out those dingbats like Beck all the time.
    Reagan appointed "czars" too...but the conservative talking heads throw the term around to try and scare folks with it.
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I know and can completely admit Bush wasn't that qualified. Look how many "Advisers" Bush had, that helps show that he wasn't qualified, so what does that say about Obama? He knows he has no clue what he is doing so he needs lots of "help"!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thanks for the numbers Crissy.

I think Bush and Obama have had waaaay too many.

That's too much unconstitutional power in any political party's administration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't recall anyone complaining about Bush's Czars.

Also, I repeat, it's just a nick name for a cumbersome job tittle. It is an informal term for certain high-level officials who direct or oversee federal operations.

The fact that there are a growing number of Czars only proves that Government in a global environment has gotten very complex.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009