changing the name of a three year old

i know its not my place, but a friend of mine just got divorced and is going to change the name of her daughter because it was her former husbands mothers name...what do you think of this? i am just worried her daughter will have an identity crisis or something! and its not a simple change her name is sara and she is changing it to rehienin (sp?) legally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would think this would seriously confuse her and everyone around her...friends, family, teachers, etc. I think it's a bad idea. It sounds to me like she's doing this in spite of her ex-husband. If she didn't like the name when she was born, she shouldn't have given it to her in the first place. Sounds pretty selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• WTH is rehienin? I don't even understand how to go about pronouncing that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Bad idea...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Um wow that is such a bad idea! Confusing the poor kid over pettiness! SO what who cares where the name came from the child already knows that as her name! Very selfish and kinda makes me think she is a control freak.. wants to control/hurt the father by changing the child's name. Absolutely insensitive to the child. I really hope you convince the mother not to do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• wow, when read the heading to this question i automatically assumed that the last name was in question. i thought that would be a very big change for a 3yr old to handle. but the 1st name, thats a bit much. dont think its worth all the trouble she'll be putting her baby through. sounds like a no go. just my opinion though. i agree w/ the 1st anon... she should have named her something else from day1 if she felt that strongly about the name.
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 11:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I know someone who changed his 5 year olds name, and she chose her own, and she was still sooo confused. She didn't know what she was supposed to be called, the teachers were confused because she answered to both names and wroth both names randomly. (one day she was *Annie and one day she was *Cindy) Her sisters were confused, and It was unnecessary drama. Unless ther child is in hiding and it is a necessity, then I don't reccomend it.
    * names have been changed
    TheDavis7

Answer by TheDavis7 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009