What are the essentials needed for new baby?

e.g. Is a swing necessary and floor gym?

acmom13

Asked by acmom13 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Grab a copy of "Baby Bargains". Best book ever written on purchasing baby supplies.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i'd get a swing or bouncy seat, not necessary but may save your sanity if baby wants to swing all day and you can't rock him. a play mat isn't needed right now, or ever really, just a blanket thrown on the floor and you can put toys around him. all you need, is diapers, wipes, clothes and food. everything else is really just to make life easier. and to do that: a swing or bouncy seat, a boppy (love it didn't have w/my first have w/my second, breast feeding or not its great relief when you're rocking a baby for hours to sleep and you're arm is numb), if you are formula feeding and have a dishwasher, a basket that is made to hold the nipples and rings, it'll keep nipples upright so they don't get filled w/dirty water. but again these are all luxuries that i strongly recommend to new mommies.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• For a new baby, Swing or bouncer I think are good to have. A floor gym, no, A blanket and your face works just as well. I love my boppy and still use it today. She is 6 months old. I had a thing called an itzbeen. I would have been lost without it. It is an electronic baby timer and I used it faithfully for the first 4 months. It was great to have if you have to leave for a bit and your husband is hanging with the baby (well it was good for my husband because he is so forgetful).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• the things i liked the most.... LOTS little blankets(they get dirty fast), pajamas for the first month of life is really all you need for clothes(they are the most comfy, all the cute outfits seem great till you actually get the baby home and then realize you wouldnt let her wear them!) one of those bath racks to wash baby on in the tub (wal-mart like 7.99) BINKY! (you will understand soon....) a swing is nice some babies love them some just like them, but you can probably find someone you know that has one or get one used for not much, floor gym is great, but you could make one yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• What I needed for my babies my boobs, blankets, diapers/wipes, onsies, and burp rags. Other than that it was all extras. Yes even the binky, the hospital will give you one and you can ask for extras or like my kids they never got used. DH says to add love and attention to the list.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 10:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• All three of my babies loved the swing. I didn't get a bouncy seat until my last one (and only because it was a gift). A floor mat I got with my second (also because it was a gift). Lots of receiving blankets (as someone said, you go through them fast), onesies, sleepers, diapers and wipes and however you are feeding them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009