Why do they have to put Corn syrup in formula.

I will state that with my third I was not able to breatfeed, I know that is best, but for reasons I was not able to. So my DD is on a soy formula. She has an extreme allergy to milk. Allergic to eggs and peanuts and also corn. Well she is 7 1/2 months old. I have two 11 months apart and been using the same soy formula since I my other DD was 6 months. I never thought to look for something like corn syrup on the formula. I check all other labels. Why do we have to use corn syrup, there are other things. Corn is from what I read a common allergy in babies, so why cant they use something else. I did finally find another formula that I have to special order that doesn't have the corn syrup in. Just made me wonder after I read that corn is a common allergen in babies. We are subjecting them to this allergen at such a young age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are a lot of things that are in formula that we shouldn't be subjecting young infants to. Corn syrup is used a thickener and to add bit of a sweeter flavor. Sorry you are having a hard time with her diet needs.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 10:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Omg~! You're kidding me..corn syrup in baby formula!!? That has the highest concentration of sugar out there~!! Gawd no wonder we have such a rapidly increasing population of children with diabetes! That's a crime against babies/humankind if you ask me~!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I much agree. Corn syrup solid is the top ingredient in most of all formulas. Especially soy. Even in alimentum powder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i dont like this.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 11:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Scary I get that babies like sweeter things at that age, but find something healthier. We are adicting kids to sugar from birth is some cases if cannot breastfeed. I am a hygienist and my employer (dentist) thinks it is really crazy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I just checked both of the formulas we've been using for DD and there's no corn syrup in either. We use Enfamil and Parents Choice (Walmart brand) But neither are a soy formula so maybe that makes a difference?
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Because it's a cheap ingredient that makes it palatable.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009