Tips 2 minimize squirming in chair during homework time?

I've established my routine. I put her in the kitchen to read for 10 minutes. I sit down next to her. I tried making her put her hands on the book. But she's still squirming around like she has a neurological disorder.

Any tips that worked for you?

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 10:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe her butt hurts.. are the chairs comfortable (And yes, i'm being serious) I was never able to concentrate as long as I was sitting in a hard chair like they have in school.

Also, maybe you make her nervous by sitting down right next to her? Try giving her a bit of space to concentrate and if she needs help then step in.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Im oldest son was that way. He just hated to read as if it was a punishment...so I gave him an audience of stuffed animals, grandma, myself, etc (no one who would make him feels like he wasnt accomplishing anything...always lots of praise. Never correct the missed pronounced word until his confidence was much stronger..kind of audience) He would stand in front of us in the living room and make up stuff as if he was reading (like we didnt know) but it gave him strength and then later changed that to actually reading. That also helped him with public speaking in college.
    Your daughter is feeling like shes being punished nd its a dread...find a way to help her find the fun in reading...one word/sentence at a time.
    Have fun with her.. ;-)
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thank you! I feel horrible because I got frustrated. I told her I would cook dinner (right there) and let her alone to read out loud but she couldn't do it and cried. I failed at my first time! But the hard seat, yep! And stuffed animals, fabulous idea!

Thank you!!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Are you having her do this as soon as she gets home or does she get a break? After sitting in class all day she needs a breather. My mom always gave me 30 to 40 minutes when I got home to do whatever. Usually I watched a little show on tv and ate a snack to unwind and then it was homework time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Depends on how you look at it... she's in after school care playing around until 4pm. So I got her home at 4:30 and just wanted her to read to me for 10 minutes. She originally wanted to do it on the couch but I told her it's best at the table. Maybe I'll try back on the couch so she's comfortable. Oh well... it's the first day but I need to have a better attitude toward it and make it fun.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Why are you sitting there? The homework is her responsibility, not yours. Be available but not sitting right there. If she suffers a bad grade or whatever from not doing the homework it's her fault not yours. Also, does it really matter if she does her homework while standing or sitting under the table as long as she does it? If this is just reading, have her create a space that is just for that, let her pick the place and what she needs to be comfortable and let her do it there. Let here ask you to join her. You'll both be a lot happier!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009