Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Else Can I Do???? HELP

I posted a while back. Some of you may remember me. I was having problems getting a passport for my son(who was placed w/me Oct 08 and adoption finalized May 09). I need a passport as we are a military family going overseas and he must have a passport to travel with me...otherwise he must stay stateside until I get a birth certificate for him. I have tried everything I think! I have tried sending in the adoption decree, certified copy of the adoption certificate, and the medical release. I've tried explaining the situation. Everything. They still want a birth certificate, which I don't have. I was told by California Vital Statistics that it could take up to a year to get the birth certificate.

Has anyone either
a) adopted from CA and gotten a birth certificate sooner
b)gotten passport without having a birth certificate
If so, please explain how you did it.

Someone please help me! I need advice...anything! No bashing

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (9)
  • i don't know how you could do this, however i'd go see if jag can help you speed up the process somehow. there has to be a way to bypass this rule so that he can either get his b.c. or get his passport.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 10:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I am trying to google some stuff for you. Remind me, was your child adopted from overseas (country?), or born in the states? Born in CA? Adopted in CA? I am seeing a lot of things about overseas adoption passports.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Unfortunately, the requirements for a passport include : naturalization certificate, Certificate of citizenship, birth certificate, old passport, or a consular certificate of birth. If your son was adopted int'lly and you had a COC then you could get a passport without a BC... however, without a BC, they won't issue one to you..
    I hope that you are able to get this resolved!

    Answer by mcginnisc at 8:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • Doodlebopfan....My son was born in California. I live in Texas. I have a certificate of adoption(signed by judge and certified). I also have a certified copy of the medical release...from what I understand, this is basically a certificate of live birth in CA). And of course, the final adoption decree. It states that he was born in the US by parents from the US. I am trying to get his original birth certificate. Turns out, California has not sealed the records yet so I am working on that too. I am trying everything but its one confusing mess. All they need is proof he is a US citizen. I think all of the info I have given them proves that! I am getting very frustrated.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • Have you talked to the social workers yet? They should have a copy of his original birth certificate in their files and with the adoption certificate that may help.

    Answer by baconbits at 12:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • That's right baconbits, I hadn't thought of that. I live in Texas, too OP, but in Texas the caseworker orders the OBC, but at the adoption the records will be sealed. I won't be able to get one, I don't think. I don't know if it's better that you are dealing with California, but do try what baconbits said. Meanwhile, I look up what I can...

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • Yes, I asked if anyone had the OBC but they did not. So, I called the Country Recorder where my son was born. I have ordered the OBC. But, I don't even know if the birth mom filled out any paperwork for the original(maybe they are required to? at the hospital). But she said she did not. But I have attempted. Hopefully this will work out. This has been work! Lol. My daughter's was soo much quicker. We finalized and a month later had an ammended BC. Though I was never allowed to even see the OBC for my daughter. So the positive hopefully will be that my son will have his OBC in the future.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • I relinquished in CA, although it was back in 1988. Then I was not required to fill out any paperwork for an OBC but my social worker warned me that if I didn't order one before the adoption was finalized at 6 months it would be sealed and no one would ever be able to get it. So, I ordered one and I have it. It seems to me that you shouldn't be entitled to the OBC, only the amended one. If the problem is that the records aren't sealed maybe his birth mother could still apply and get the OBC. Good Luck.


    Answer by onethentwins at 5:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • My understanding is that you can not get the OBC in California unless you are the birthparent. I looked into it when I first adopted my son and I believe I had to be a birthparent or the child and request it with photo ID. And it had to be done before the amended BC was completed. I adopted from CA, in CA and I want to say it took almost a year or just over a year. The problem is there are a total of 2 whole people working on all the adoptions in California. The adoptions from overseas, foster care, private adoption, etc. I called Sacramento, they looked up his file for me and told me to call my worker. They forgot to forward me a copy of the amended BC. If you call Sacramento, keep the phone by you at all times, they have I think up to 48 hours to call you back and if you miss it, you have to call again. The first time my phone died while I was sleeping, they called first thing in the morning.

    Answer by jothra at 4:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.