Is this a good idea?

I am a hair stylist/nail tech and i love what i do and i'm good at what i do.. well i have a 2 yr old that i don't want to put in day care, but i miss working, soooo i had a business idea, tell me what you think.. would you like for a stylist or nail tech to come to you if you were a stay at home mom.. the only catch would be that she would bring her 2 yr old to play with your kids.. would this be a good thing or would moms rather have that alone time in the salon without the kids when daddy can keep them on a sat or something... HELP! really struggling with this.. want to do it, but it will cost alot to get it going and i would hate to fail, so let me know what you think...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think it sounds so cool
    my DD is only 6 months so she would not be able to play lol
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• maybe i would go to their house and bring the kids. but i'd want another adult there to act as a sitter (that way you or the client isn't stopping in the middle to take care of kids) and it'd be someone i knew or was recommended by someone i knew well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I do that only for friends and family though. It really isnt all the much to start, you can get a traveling rinse sink for about $200 and a traveling dryer for around $100
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• first of all, i think you might want to consider whether or not it is legal. you should be aware that your state board has very specific regulations/policies regarding the practicing of cosmetology. also, as with any 'cash' business..there are still taxes to be paid.( i'm not trying to bash your idea, but as a working mother, who also is a licensed cosmetologist, who pays her taxes and gets inspected regularly by the state board in a board-licensed environment...this would piss me off, and i wouldn't be alone.) you could be fined, or have your license revoked unless you actually play by your state board's rules. all it would take is for someone who doesn't like you, or is mad at you, to know about your 'business' and notify your state board. tread carefully, momma.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I love the home visit idea, not crazy about her 2 yr old child coming along though. Not really professional, and with having to keep an eye on all the kids, I'd feel as though she wouldn't be able to give 100% attention to the job she's doing. Get a babysitter for the 2 yr old & I think it's a great idea.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• that a real good idea if u can do it but u must remember not all your clients are going to have kids to keep your kid busy. I mean u might get a lot of old ladies living alone who cannot prolly go out or something like that. It's a cool idea though, u could make thos magnets and put them on your car advertising your ambulant salon. You could prolly take a tv w/ a video game and see if he can stay still long enough, IDK that's the hardest part.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 11:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• thehairnazi.. do you work for your state board? if not, then why do you give a crap what other people do? i know i don't care.. even if someone was working without a license, who cares that 's all on them.. have you ever gone to a nursing home or hospital to do someones hair? and did the nursing home or hospital get a state board inspection before you started, uh NO, so why is this any different?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it would only be a service for stay at home mommys, with children at home that way they could keep each other occupied
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It sounds like a good idea. It wouldn't be that different from people having personal trainers coming to their homes. Me personally I would have a problem with having someone in my home that I don't know very well, especially around my kids. That's just me though!! I really don't like anyone in my house and personal space!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think it sounds like a good idea, especially for the SAHM's who can't get out to get this done..it would be more convenient for them. Wow having the beauty salon brought to your house, that's very cool.

BUT there will be some people who won't like that you bring your daughter with you. You know who I mean...we deal with those people on here all the time...the ones who are affectionately dubbed as trolls. LOL.

I think it's a great idea, you should go for it.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009