I need tips to get my 22 mo. boy to sit at the table to eat food.

When it's dinner time, I make a plate and set it at his spot. Lately though he wants us to hold him, while standing up, and feed him food. We absolutely put a foot down. We've tried a few things like taking down his booster seat and making it a "big boy" chair.

There's a transition issue from daycare to home and dinner is right then at 5-5:30. I told him I love to hold him but if he wants to eat his food, he has to sit down at the table. It's an all out tantrum. I then tell him I'm sorry but he can go to his room to cry and come out when he's happy.

I tried putting him at a smaller table, but the same thing. I'm not going to give in but I also feel bad because he does want his food (obviously not bad enough).

I know no child offered food will starve and I do believe he gets the predicament he's in. Anyone else had this issue? How long did it last with you?

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could you push back dinner a few minutes so you can hold him and let him settle for a bit?
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I didn't have all the space to write but that is definately something I considered tonight. But he does have the same problem on the weekends as well. It's definately not helping, the timing, so i'll try setting aside some decompression time and maybe even talking to him about it outside of the meal time how we have to sit at the table when we eat food.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• How about letting him help set the table as a way to give him some control before the meal?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009