Learning Toys

My DD's first birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her a few learning toys. What would be some great ones? Any ideas?

hansonfan1985

Asked by hansonfan1985 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• leap frog is a good brand.. for help w/ learning
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 12:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• first b-day...hhmm...is she crusing yet? you can get her one of those walking toys...or are you talking educational? for a one year old i'm not sure. at age one for both my kids (my dd is 13 months now) i never really bought learning toys, i just kind of taught them as i play/ed with them. "this is the blue lego", "can you give me the blue toy?" at this age you're kind of wanting to work on their motor skills more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I teach her as I play with her. She can already point out numbers 1-9 and choose red or blue and point out a, b, and c. She loves learning and makes me read her two books every night before bed. If I forget to read to her she screams until I pick up a book. LOL. She loves to learn, so I was leaning more toward learning toys than just the usual.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Both of my boys got things they could walk with and pull around for their first birthdays. They need things that are bright and encourage open ended play. The basics like blocks and balls and shape sorters, a first purse that she can put things in and take things out are great learning toys. The hand eye coordination is the first step toward reading and writing along with verbal skill development. Don't be surprised if all she wants is the boxes and wrapping paper!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'd skip all the things that make noise in my opinion they are over stimulating. . . I'd try blocks, books, balls, sorting boxes. . . dressy bessie the babydoll that has the button and zipper and stuff. . . She will learn more from you then any toy.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009