OH....MY....GOODNESS....

I'M GOING TO GO CRAZY!! My 2 year old just started this "scared of the dark" phase...waking up 2-3 times a night! aaahhh!! we went out and i let him pick out a night light...tonight he went to bed ok, just whining a bit...not like the screaming and crying like the past few nights. this is the time i normally go to bed, but i'm scared to cuz right when my head hits the pillow is when the waking up starts...it's like he KNOWS! ...anyone go/going through this and have advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sometimes some soothing music playing quietly while he sleeps may help ease his anxiety. You could also try a fan for some "white noise". Does he have a security object he sleeps with? Try to get him something that he likes, maybe a Lightning McQueen blanket or a Spiderman buddy to sleep with at night. My daughter has her Lala (blanket) a beanie baby pig and an Abby Cadabby doll. Those are her 3 vices, but as long as she is happy, the rest of the house can be happy! (especially since she wanders into sissy's room when she wakes up since it is right next door to hers....ahhh, trials and tribulations of being an older sibling LOL) Try to keep a sippy of water in his room to, that seems to calm them down...being able to take a sip of something cool and calming.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Is it he is scared of the dark or "monsters" in the dark. If it is monsters in the dark I know of someone who has used air freshner and what they did was make a label that said monter be gone. They put the label on the air freshner and then tell the child that when he gets scared spray the monster be gone and when you do it will keep everything away and then lay down and go back to sleep. She would also spray it before she left the room before he went to bed. But if it is just the dark.. my son was having problems at first and I know some people oppose but we put a lil tv in his room. We just keep the tv and a night light on for him and he does great now. barely ever comes in our room.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Try to get him something that he likes, maybe a Lightning McQueen blanket or a Spiderman buddy to sleep with at night

i've tried this, and he's not fond of sleeping with ANYTHING. not even blankets. sure, i tuck him in every night, but the minute i close the door that thing is off of him in a heartbeat.

thanks ladies for the advice. hopefully there will be no more wake ups, but if there is i'll try it ALL..lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• co sleep a few nights
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• get a night light leave the hall light on, we got those energy efficient lights for our hallway to save money on the bill. shut other doors most of the way to keep the light out so everybody else can sleep. if that doesn't work put him in the living rm with his favorite movie n let him sleep where he wants. If you happen to wake up and he's asleep put him in his bed. Mine like to come co-sleep with me and when his dad gets up in the night I make him put the kid back in bed. if he comes back it's cuz he wants mommy time and he feels secure with me. I take pleasure knowing i'm his sleeping vice some nights.
    binbon86

Answer by binbon86 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We did the "monster spray," but as a cheaper option we just used a generic spray bottle and put water in it. It helped because it was something she had control over.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My daughter will be two in just 10 more days. She too gets up about 3 times a night and gets in bed with me.

It can be VERY frustrating.

She's not afraid of the dark, and part of the time I think she's sleep walking. But it's still a little frustrating to have to put her back to bed 2-4 times a night most generally.

I have yet to find a solution, I'm hoping it's something she'll out grow soon!

Until then....*sigh* I'm just trying to deal....(I have 4 month old twin boys too and just when one starts STTN the other one decides he wants to wake up and eat all the time! LOL SO between the boys, and my daughter? What is sleep????)

Good luck, and you aren't alone!
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 9:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I know what you mean. My oldest daughter was like that. She said it was a "evil witch" in her closet and she'd bust in my room wanting to sleep with me every night. I decided to buy her a nightlight and get her a small radio so she could listen to some soft music. I also make sure to keep her closet door shut and keep her bedroom door closed half-way. That stopped all the crying soon! =)
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my dd started that when she was 4 and im still dealing with it i would not recommand co sleeping i made that mistake now its a bigger fight to get her to sleep in her own bed ihave tried bribbery, cio, tv, dvd player, and now she has a speacial lamp, i have found these thing only help temperalery i have yet to find something that last other than co sleeping but even on her bad nights co sleeping didnt help me dd she goes to the drs on thurs im going to ask about calimin(Sp) tea and melitoin (sp) i heard this helps a child sleep at night
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009