Tricare and chiropractics during pregnancy.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and my hip has been out for almost a week and a half now. I figured my midwife could refer me to a chirpractor at my appt today and that if i had a referal, my insurance would cover it. Well it turns out, the only thing they have to refer me to is a physical therapist. And I don't think that it's going to help seeing one, I just need a quick adjustment.
So to any military wives out there, did you ever go see a chiropractor while pregnant and did tricare cover the costs for you? What hoops do I need to jump through to get my hip put back in place?!

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 12:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a friend that gets her chiropractor paid for by Tricare, but she has a lot of medical stuff going on, and I don't know how she does it. I would call your PCM and ask them about it, or call your tricare office.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My mom went to a chiropractor while my dad was active duty and I think they had to pay for it out of pocket. But don't be so quick to dis pyhsical therapy. It really can help! I thought I was having muscle spasms in my back, but they said my neck was out of line and I went to a physical therapist and after about a month i felt a million times better. Its not all just exercies, they will stretch you and stuff too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• from what i've heard tricare isn't too found of covering a chiropractor, you may have to pay out of pocket. i'd go with the physical therapist to see if that helps any before trying to get a referral, and i'd guess knowing tricare you'll have to see the physical therapist, and still have the problem before they consider it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have chronic back problems and can't get tricare to pay for a chiropractor, even during pregnancy...so good luck.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Nope never did, but if you get a referral, you should be good to go...if you are on standard, you do not need a referral.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My friend who is also military has gone to a chiropractor and that was an out of pocket expense. We were at Ft. Lost in the Woods, MO and tricare did not cover it.
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 7:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thanks for your answers everyone. I was reading on their website last night that if I can get my PCM to refer me, they'll cover it. Do I guess thats where I'm gunna start.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009