4yr son with Autism?HELP?????

My son is 4yrs old. he has Autism, he is doing so very well in all areas , then there comes Speech. he's having such a difficult time with vocalizing and expressing his needs and wants(which then leads to alot of behaviors). he can speak some words but he cannot have a conversation.his DTT was recently terminated.and has a IEP coming up, my question is what else can i do with him to help him use his words correctly and more frequently? ????does anyone know whats the max amount of speech he can get at school?

*****please do not judge or be rude******

Bellaaa

Asked by Bellaaa at 12:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest is autistic and what I did with her is sound out words and tell her she needs to use her words in a sentence. I was polite in my asking and she knew what I meant. I also to this day can read her mind when the words don't want to come out so I have always had to ask the right questions in the most sensitive manner possiable so the words weren't so difficult to form.
    also another thing I had to do was when asking her something I had her repeat what I said so " it would stick", I hope that all this makes some sense.
    Hang in there!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The amount of speech he can get at school I would think varies greatly between states and even districts. My 12 year old has autism and when he was in preschool I think he got an hour/week in school which around here was considered a lot, most people only got 30 mins/week.
    When my son was younger we used PECS which helped immensely until he was more verbal. In your state, is there a program you can sign up for where he can eventually get non income based medicaid? Or do you qualify for SSI? If you can get medicaid, then they will pay for private speech therapy outside of school.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009