scared about test 2mrrw for gestational diabetes

We've been trying for sev yrs to have another child, our DD is now abt to turn 13. I have had several losses thru the yrs, and have been in the hospitol twice this pregnancy already, then being put on bedrest for weeks at a time. I am currently 31 +weeks and at my check-up today I was told I was a bit underwt (I've gained 14 lbs), and that baby is a tad small, but "cld be the way he is positioned, so not getting proper measurements." I was sent for the glucose tolerance test and a CBC (both routine for 28 weeks, but apparently they "forgot" to send me after my last appt.) Doc called, said I was 160 and they don't like to see over 140, but American Diabetes assoc says over 180 is hi. I'm a nurse, I know what all this means, I know I have NO signs of it, I eat healthy and exercise, and this contradicts the whole appt,but diabetes does run in my family. Can anyone reassure me? Am I freakin out over nothing? Repeating test in am!

wagnerswifee21

Asked by wagnerswifee21 at 1:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Health

• Well your worrying is justifiable, but unnecessary!=) (I know it's impossible not to worry though!) I had to do the second test as well, and it came back normal. Your dr. is just trying to be safe. Just stay positive, and I'm sure all will be well. Especially since your baby is measuring small. Generally, with gestational diabetes, you have a larger baby. Hang in there !=)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well, thanks for that. That's all I needed, was EVEN 1 PERSON to tell me they went thru the 2nd series of tests and was normal. You already made me feel better. I'm just racking my brain for all I know of gestational diabetes, AND as you said, he's measuring small and I also have not gained an extreme amt of wt, so none of it makes sense to me. I get the being cautious bit, but you can't help but panic, or at least I can't! LOL Thanks again..maybe I can actually sleep now!
    wagnerswifee21

Answer by wagnerswifee21 at 1:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pregnancies. I weigh 120 lbs, eat fairly healthy, and exercise but I do have a family history of diabetes. I had a special diet I followed, but I didn't have to change much of what I normally eat, and I had to actually eat more than I normally would have. I wasn't gaining weight - I only gained 17 lbs with my 2nd, so they kept adding more and more snacks. I couldn't have possibly eaten any more food!
    None of my babies were large - my 1st (no gest diabetes) was 8 lbs 9 oz, my 2nd was 7 lbs 14 oz, my 3rd was 7 lbs 7 oz, and my 4th was 8 lbs 1 oz. So my largest child was born when I didn't have gestational diabetes - how weird is that?!?
    But it's really no big deal even if you are, you just keep track of your sugars and end up eating all day long.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Those tests are horrible. They stress your body horribly. Most midwives and natural doctors refuse to do them due to this. I would say not to do it. I didn't with either of my sons. With my oldest I just did a regular glucose run since it is actually better at predicting GD. With my youngest I just tested like once a week after breakfast. If my numbers got high one week I would just watch what I ate that week. I can't believe they still do the GD test. The majority of women who fail the 1 hour test pass the 3 hour. That alone tells you how bad the test is.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I did get EXTREMELY sick w the test, and was worse aafter I got home and tried to eat. But, the Doc clld tonight and said my levels were "perfect" today, so I'm all clear!
    wagnerswifee21

Answer by wagnerswifee21 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009