Is it normal to worry about death?

Ok, this is too long to post here, but I have a journal about it, so I'll just post the link for the journal in the first reply. This has really been bugging me, lately.

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I thought here might be the best place.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Now I've kind of learned how to deal with it. I let it get me down sometimes, it'll sneak up on me when I least expect it. My daughter will be doing something cute, and I'll subconsciously think "I'm going to die someday and I'll never get to see her smile again." CRAP! There it is again. At least I can watch death scenes and see cemetaries now.

But you're totally not alone. I worry incessantly over it. I worry about getting old. I'm TERRIFIED of dying in a car crash or being murdered. I don't want to die before my time. I'm scared of the process of death. I can't fathom being here and conscious one minute, then BAM gone the next. I want to die in my sleep when I'm really old, but I know most people don't get that luxury anymore.

I used to be scared that I was "wrong" about my beliefs, but I've learned to find comfort in them. This is the only life I have, that makes it all the more precious. I hope this helps a bit =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Link for journal.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You're seriously only 19? ZOMG I'm older than you by a year, that's so weird. I never would've thought.

I promise you 10000000000000 times over, it's completely normal to worry about these kinds of things. I've thought about asking the same question here, but I was afraid I'd get a bunch of scriptures thrown in my face instead of honest answers.

It's a normal human fear. Every human has to face their mortality at some point. I think having a child really makes you face it sooner than you planned. When I was pregnant last year, I obsessed over death. I couldn't even look at a cemetary on TV, let alone watch a death scene or discuss it with someone. It got to the point where I was extremely depressed. I couldn't tear my mind off of death and dying and what came next. I just can't fathom being dead. Me being an atheist, I pretty much believe that once you die, you die. That's it. I can't fathom utter nothingness. CONT.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think it's normal and healthy to think about death because it shows us our own mortality, the brevity of life, and helps us to think of the importance of fulfilling the reason we were put here in the first place. If you have fears in your heart, I believe that God can use your fear to speak to your heart, so that you can draw near to him and have those fears alleviated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• LOL Cait, how old did you think I was, 12? 60? Lol, that seriously gave me a laugh, thanks.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I honestly don't know! For some reason I automatically put everyone else around 30 LOL! You're like me, you speak more eloquently than some others do around hurr.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Maybe this is one of the main reasons why I have yet to fill out my Living Will and Power of Attorney of Health Care forms.

To me, doing that makes it seem so...final.

Death is final. And it is something NONE of us can escape from. No matter how hard we try to.

In all honesty, this "worry about death" thing didn't hit me until I turned 30 (I'm 32, almost 33 now). Like you, I would shudder and wonder of what it will "be like" to stop breathing, thinking and feeling....Basically, not "exisiting" anymore.

But, then I put myself in check and tell myself to just take it LITERALLY one day at a time.

Heck, I could die just getting out of bed in the morning. After all, tripping over 3 cats who like to surround you for food first thing is not one of the safest things to happen to you in the early morning.

pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 7:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I BELEIVE IN FATE, SO WORRYING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WILL HAPPEN HEAVEN KNOWS WHEN IS USELESS TO ME. I TRULY BELEIVE WE ALL HAVE OUR DAY MARKED AND NO MATTER WHAT WE DO IT WON'T CHANGE.
    I WORRY ABOUT MY LOVED ONES DEATH, NEVER GIVE MINE MUCH THOUGHT.I TRY TO LIVE EACH DAY TO THE FULLEST WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Answer by older at 7:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Of course it's normal. It amounts to fear of the unknown, death is the ultimate unknown.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I must add, it is normal to fear death to a certain extent. But if that fear is crippling to you in your life, I would seek some perspective on it or some help.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2009