Ectopic Pregnancy- Can It Be Tested For?

If I had an ectopic pregnancy (likely with the bc I'm taking) and I took a pregnancy test, would it come up in my results that I'm pregnant? I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just want to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes! I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was having really bad cramping and I took a test. It was positive, so I was a little excited, but knew something was not right. The next day I was in so much pain I went to urgent care and they also gave me a pregnancy test that came out positive. Then they made me get an ultrasound and it showed that the egg was in my tube, not my uterus. You will probably know, because the pain is very strong and mine got to the point of being unbearable. There is no way of knowing if you are at risk. No one in my family had ever had one.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I dont know FOR SURE but I assume that it would show you as being pregnant since it tests for a hormone.
    You would know for sure by the first ultrasound which is often done on your first visit. (mine was at 9 weeks.)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I believe it would, the hormone would still activate the pregnancy test. I have had an ectopic- it is painful. However, it would be impossible for you to know without sonograms to be sure.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes. I had 2 ectopics and both came up positive on a pregnancy test.
    LitningBug

Answer by LitningBug at 10:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It would still show up as positive if you had an ectopic. If you get a positive and are on a birth control that increases your chances of having an ectopic pregnancy, you need to get in for an early ultrasound to see where the baby has attached.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009