what would you do in this situation?

My 5 year old daughter started kindergarden yesterday. Her first time ever going to any type of school. Well my daughter is one of those kids who was so excited and she would follow what other kids did. Well when i went to go pick her up from school at the end of the day the teacher or the aid didnt know where she was. They lost my daughter. There was to ways to get into where her class is the front door where you take them to class in the morning and the back where i was to pick her up. They werent watching my daughter and she ended up going out the front door and when i found her she was across the street which wasnt near the classroom. The teachers made it seem like it was my fault. That i should have told her to stay in the classroom. My question is what would you do in this sitiation? Would you let it go? Or switch teachers? My husband was pissed he thinks we should go to the princpal.. What does everyone think.

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in

• The first day of school can be crazy and even the best teacher might have an issue. Let it go for now. However, if it becomes a pattern it will need to be addressed. Talk to your child and make sure she understands the importance of staying with the teacher until you come. She may have been confused. It wasn't right for the teacher to blame you, but at the same time it might create more problems for you if you make lots of waves too soon. You don't want to get the label as the crazy parent. It will only work against you in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• ok i can understand the first day of school is crazy but my daughter wasnt the only one that got lost in that class there was also two little boys who they didnt know where they were.
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 4:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would see how it goes today, and if it happens again then i would go to the principal. its not unusual for kids that young to not understand or follow directions given. Especially if it their first time encountering something like that. I would make sure to tell my daughter to do everything the teacher says and to not wander away from the classroom, to make sure she understands what she is supposed to do (or not supposed to do) and then wait and see if it happens again
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If my child got out and CROSSED THE STREET, the principal and possibly the superintendent would hear about it.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would not let it go. Your child was in their CARE first day or not! What if she had been hit by a car or someone took her??? It is their job to keep up with the children and if they cant because of having to many to kids to keep up with than they need to get more teachers so there are not that many kids in one classroom. I sure would go to the principal and even the school board! It's your child and you placed your child in their care...That is scary to know she was not being watched!!! I tell ya GOD help the teacher who looses my child..I would have her JOB! I am really protective of my child. There are alot of crazy people in this world who like to take children...If I place my kids in the care of a school I EXSPECT them to watch them and take care of them during school hours. That is part of there job!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would have been quite upset, however I agree with some other posters, that the first day of school can be VERY confusing and hectic.

During school hours the child is under the care of the school so if something happens then it is the schools fault (in my mind anyway).

I would just have a talk with the teacher, nothing rude or anything. I wouldn't take it up with the principal just yet, because mistakes DO happen, and kids can be confused in situations like this.

Just explain to your daughter what she needs to do, and have a talk with the teachers.

But if it happens again? I'd go to the principal.

I hope she liked her first day of school!

(OH and did she follow another student out, or did she go on her own? That also makes a difference especially since you said she likes to follow other kids)
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 8:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The principal needs to know that there was a safety issue in his/her school. the building needs a plan to insure this never happens again. Not this week. Not the first day of school next year. Not 10 years from now. The issue will not be addresses if you don't speak up. They could have put one adult at each door and made sure none of the children left the building without an adult. and what if they left with the wrong adult. They are liable to make sure that their procedures are safe. You may find yourself the head of the committee on child safety. So be prepared to solve the problem not just complain about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You know in my childrens school Kindergarteners can walk home by themselves so once the bell rings they dismiss the students some kids leave and walk, some wait for mom or dad and others get on the bus. The parents are responsible to communicate to the teacher on three different forms what their child will be doing. It is also the parents responsibility to talk to their child about what they are to do. First day of school is chaos typically so even the best teacher makes a mistake. I am sure you are not so perfect your child has not been out of your sight for a second. I would talk to your daughter and go from there. Some schools baby the kids I am so glad ours does not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Principal.
    And if the teacher was blaming YOU - switch teachers.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The school is responsible for your daughter's safety and whereabouts while she is in their care. This was no way your fault and I would be contacting the school about this issue immediately if I were you.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

Next question in
PowerPoint and APA format

Next question overall (Health)
Personal Question Possibly TMI