How do you feel about teachers having a second job outside of school?

I recently found out that my DD's kindergarten teacher works part time selling clothes at the mall. Although I respect that teachers are not the best paid job, I wonder if working another job has a negative impact on the teacher's ability to do their job during the day.

I point this out because I recently called my child's teacher to ask a question. It was only 20 minutes after school and they were already gone for the day! The teacher called me back the next day, but this was really too late. I wonder if my kid's teacher might be neglecting duties to work another job.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in

• I think that particular district should be ashamed they can't support thier teachers better. And i would NOT want my kids teacher working a second job, only because it is so hard to do. NOT FAIR.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• There are a lot of reasons a teacher might leave school right after the day is over. Perhaps she had a dentist appointment, she didn't feel well, or she had to pick someone up from the airport. Maybe she comes to school early in the morning so she can be done with her work early. Unless she is leaving the classroom unattended to work her other job, it is not your issue.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 3:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's absolutelynone of your business.  Unless you are going to offer to supplement her salary you have no right to say anything.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think teachers have the right to do just about anything they see fit after school hours. Now if the teacher was a prostitute or drug dealer I would be right there with you objecting. But I know many teachers who are waitresses, bartenders, store clerks, etc. I know several teachers who have their own businesses. I would change my focus, if I were you...to what goes on INSIDE the classroom only. You can't expect a teacher to be available to you 24 hours a day....I find a call back within 24 hours completely acceptable. That is life.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think it is sad that our teachers are not paid enough to take care of themselves! I think it is noble that she went out and found a second job....there are some that should be working a first one! I think she got back with you in a timely manner. Just because she has a second job I don't think that would keep her from doing her job. If she was not working a second job, but had a family emergency the day you called, would you be so quick to judge?
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Why is it anyones busniess what she or he does afterschool? Would you think the same if she left the school and went to take care of her dying reliative everyday. Teachers don't make very much money and with student loans on top of everyday bills i can see why she needs the job and probably doesn't need someone judging her for that. Now if she was a stripper then I would be concerned lol.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Are you sure she left so quickly to go to the second job? My son's teacher last yr often had to leave right after school for dr appts for herself and she also had to leave on 3 occasions b/c her husband was ill. You're making assumptions, and you know what those do to you.

As for the teacher having a second job, it's her life. As long as it is legal, and there's no moral or ethical reason to object to the job, it's not my business. Are you going to decide if she can have a family now, too? It's not your business. A return call the next day is perfectly reasonable. Oh, and on that note, as well, are you sure she was already gone? I sometimes call and get the teacher's voicemail b/c she is meeting with another parent. Perhaps she met with another parent and by the time she was done, felt that it would be better to return your call the next day. Don't judge.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My husband is a school teacher and they are only contractually obligated to stay at school for 15 minutes past the end of the day. So school gets out at 1:50 he has to stay in the building until 2:05. He CAN stay longer, but he is not required to and most of the teachers do not. My husband stays until about 2:30 because he likes to get grading done before coming home so that he can focus more on our son.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sorry, I didn't answer your question- I wouldn't want my child's teacher to have another job only for her own sake. Being a teacher is hard work, and the job doesn't end at 2:00 when the school day is over. My husband is ALWAYS work, either grading, making lesson plans, or thinking about lectures and activities to get the kids thinking. I feel terrible that you child's teacher doesn't get paid enough to keep her afloat.

Maybe she has a lot of student loans? I wouldn't be too hard on her though. She's just doing what she needs to do to make her ends meet.

She may also have the part time job so that she can have a discount on the clothing there. Professional clothes can be costly.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with this. Now maybe if she was like a bartender or a stripper and worked all night and was tired during the day I'd understand. Teacher's like to have personal lives and don't like to be bothered by parent's all the time. My best friend is a teacher and she has this one parent that will call her all the time like when she is trying to enjoy dinner or family time. Some people these days just can't afford to work 1 job. My DH works 2 full time jobs just to try and make ends meet. Sorry to sound rude, but I guess I just see my friends frustration when parents call her all the time. I wish I could find just 1 job, much less 2.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

Next question in
what would you do in this situation?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Where is my period??