Anyone else ever encounter a ban on birthday treats in the classroom?

My kindergarten DD's birthday is next week. I emailed her teacher about bringing cupcakes for the class and this was the response I got:

"Due to food allergies and the possibility of attractting pests into the classroom, I am encouraging non-food birthday treats this year. Students could pass out stickers or other trinkets. This way we can still celebrate birthdays at school, but we take the safety needs of the class in consideration as well."

What frustrates me is that this in NOT a school wide policy. My DS's third grade teacher has no problem with treats. I am wondering if this teacher is just a grinch. Is it so bad if a cupcake comes to school? No kid is going to die or get fat from just one cupcake!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in

• Well first off let me say, if its not school wide policy then it probably is the teac her, and it is her classroom. Second how do you know some kid in that class doesnt have egg or chocolate allergy or is severly diabetic where the exposure to that cupcake could be harmful if not fatal.

AT my kids's schools you are not allowed to send food except at christmas and valentines day parties. PeRIOD and we cant even send invitations for the parties. SO yeah this doesnt bother me. So my advice is do what the teacher said, buy some little trinkets and make little gift bags and hand those out, that way all your bases are covered
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think it is strange if it is just the teacher's policy.....I am with you that birthday cupcakes are a lovely little tradition! I have known situations where kids had allergies and they would send in something that their child could eat when there were treats in class. I would be willing to send in something that the child could eat, but the mother felt better being 100% sure. Now, in my mind, the one with the allergies is the one who should have to adapt. That is just a fact of life. I would probably just do what the teacher said.....but I wouldn't like it either!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• A child can have an allergy to any part of the cupcake so do not think that a child can or can not become ill from it...
    Our school does the class to class... it is the teachers choice to decide what goes on in his/her classroom when it comes to treats...
    I personally grew up with a peanut allergy (still have it) and until recently did schools realize that children can actually be in danger due to certain types of foods....

So send little trinkets/goodie bags for your dd's b-day in class... also if this teacher has put this type of restrictions out, then most likely she does have a child with allergies in her room so if you decide to invite children from your dd's room to her home party, make sure that you ask the parents if the child has allergies to any foods....

It is not only the safest way, but the smart thing to do...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Oh jeez... Its amazing how strick schools are gtting now. Just keep her home from school that day and let her eat cake for breakfasr!!!!!! She won't even mind the whole no cupcake in school policy he he. I do remember growing up certain years my mom would make rice krispy treats instead of cupcakes because sometimes we had children with food allergies. I can kinda understand with the school but you try telling a 7 years old that ya know...
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• all of our schools have had this type of policy in place for as long as they were in school. ( 10 years) so its nothing new here, and with a child with a severe dairy allergy i appreciate it. it is heartbreaking to have 20 kids eating something yummy and one sitting alone with a soy bar because the teacher just happened to have one in her purse that day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• . Now, in my mind, the one with the allergies is the one who should have to adapt
    _______________
    this is a really shitty response ya know, they adapt DAILY, every day of their lives.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Now, in my mind, the one with the allergies is the one who should have to adapt
    _______________

I agree that the response comes off as snarky, but I see her point. Why make an entire class of children have to change something for a few kids? It's not fair either way. Also, why not put the kids with allergies in one class if possible?

Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Honestly, treats in a kindy classroom is a nightmare- messy, allergies, hyped up kids and the staff ends up cleaning up the mess. I love birthdays and would not ban treats, but I can see how having 25 kids with cupcakes is not an appealing situation. Also, pressure from parents can spoil any teachers outlook, so if she has (or had) a pesky parent about treats- it would play in to her decision to ban them all together!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have never been banned from doing it but my girls school only allows them at certain times and they have to be store bought (no homemade treats). Last year we had a student in my daughter's class that was allergic to peanuts so I bought cupcakes from a peanut free bakery.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's been frowned upon here too. Instead the class works on a birthday card for the child and they still sing happy Birthday. This way everyone can partake of the child's special day without the risk of allergic reactions or dietary restrictions. You don't need cake to celebrate. Honor the teacher's rule for their classroom.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009