My kindergarten DD's birthday is next week. I emailed her teacher about bringing cupcakes for the class and this was the response I got:
"Due to food allergies and the possibility of attractting pests into the classroom, I am encouraging non-food birthday treats this year. Students could pass out stickers or other trinkets. This way we can still celebrate birthdays at school, but we take the safety needs of the class in consideration as well."
What frustrates me is that this in NOT a school wide policy. My DS's third grade teacher has no problem with treats. I am wondering if this teacher is just a grinch. Is it so bad if a cupcake comes to school? No kid is going to die or get fat from just one cupcake!
Answer by elananme at 7:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by BJoan at 7:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by gmasboy at 7:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by jewjewbee at 8:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Now, in my mind, the one with the allergies is the one who should have to adapt
this is a really shitty response ya know, they adapt DAILY, every day of their lives.
I agree that the response comes off as snarky, but I see her point. Why make an entire class of children have to change something for a few kids? It's not fair either way. Also, why not put the kids with allergies in one class if possible?
Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
I have never been banned from doing it but my girls school only allows them at certain times and they have to be store bought (no homemade treats). Last year we had a student in my daughter's class that was allergic to peanuts so I bought cupcakes from a peanut free bakery.
Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009
Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009