how soon

how soon can you give the baby cereal he eats a five ounce and a hour later acts like he is starving..... he is 2 months almost three..... also he has been fighting his sleep alot is there any way to get to sleep??????

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 4:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 2 and a half months he eats 5 ounces and sometimes does the same thing where he acts like he is starving an hour later, I usually just give him another 2 ounces or just an ounce of water and he is fine. Cereal isn't really good to give babies when they are this young, yes it will help them sleep, but it will also cause them to gain alot of extra weight and they can have digestive problems from starting them on foods this soon. For help with sleep just wear your baby out with alot of playing and then a really long bath, I use the Johnson & Johnson calming (its in a purple bottle) and it really helps my lil boy to fall asleep he is usually asleep within 10mins after his bath! Pediatricians don't recommend starting on foods until they are at least 6 months. Hope this helps you!
    Landynsmom62609

Answer by Landynsmom62609 at 4:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My DD's pediatrician told me that it was ok to give her cereal in her milk. I have been doing it since she was a month old. she has been eating gerber baby food since she was 2 1/2 months old and the pedi. told me that was fine. I think it is really up to you when you start things. Every one really over does the whole dont feed your baby anything before this age thing. How do you think they managed 50 years ago? when they didnt have doctors and everyone giving them directions on how to raise a child. they went by instincts. you will know when your baby is ready for certain things. hope that helped answer your question
    amydiaz

Answer by amydiaz at 5:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with amydiaz, thats what my sons pedi told me and he started baby food at two months and didn't gain alot of extra weight or have digestive problems from starting him on baby cereal and food that early. My son is now 1 and only weights 17lbs, he was 5lbs at birth
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would not start baby food at such a young age. It really CAN cause digestive issues, and I promise you, it does NOT help a child sleep. My DD did not sleep any better once she started food. In fact, I've only met one child who ever slept better from eating solids, and I work at a daycare.

And if you do start, I would skip baby cereal altogether. It really is just a bunch of junk fillers. Go read the ingredients label, and maybe that could help you make up your mind. With my next child, we will be going straight to fruits and veggies.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have to strongly advise you against giving your 2-3mo old cereal, especially in a bottle. A. Contrary to popular belief, it does not allow your baby to sleep longer. Although it may hold off the next feeding, but not by much, it also can make them extremely gassy therefore making bedtime even more difficult. B. Infants have digestive systems that are ill-prepared to handle solids until about 5-6mo. Giving rice either by mouth or bottle could seriously damage your childs digestive system and create enormous tummy issues for you both. I would advise you not to start rice at this time. If he appears hungry soon after a bottle, offer another 2 oz.

As for bedtime, this is a difficult age. Routine is the best thing you can offer him at bedtime, but hardly any 2-3mo olds are sleeping through the night. At 4 months, you should see a big difference in his sleep pattern. I wish you all the luck, try everything!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Four months, on a spoon. No cereal in bottles unless directed by a doc for reflux. It's a choking risk and also ioncreases the risk of obesity. (Note I say RISK...it's not a guarantee but nothing is.)

Also know that cereal can make them HUNGRIER. Carbs do that.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "How do you think they managed 50 years ago? "

They didn't feed baby cereal. **grin**

My mom gave me formula when I wanted it. Never said no. When it was time for solids, I got mashed potato to start.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009