Help! Doing it the wrong way and suffering! Time management?

I am earning my AA online and raising my daughter (in addition to a myriad of other responsibilities and currently moving).

I need a new strategy for getting things done.

Currently, I am up until dawn or later, pumping myself full of caffeine and doing work while my daughter sleeps. I get maybe an hour or two of sleep before she wakes between 8-9, if I am lucky. I spend the rest of the day caring for/playing with her and getting everything else done.

This is not working. My body is suffering from sleep deprivation and this much caffeine is certainly unhealthy.

There is certainly no time to nurture my relationship with my husband or get any "extras" (walking, biking, swimming, spending quiet time with family, pleasure reading, training my dog, getting other things on the to-do list done).

I would welcome anything resembling a solution or strategy!!!

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 5:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here's what I would do - if it were me - and please take into consideration that I don't know anything about you or your life. Just looking from the outside in on somewhat of a math problem. First thing you gotta do is to set your sleeping schedule - without sleep everything else WILL come crashing in eventually. Let's say you can function pretty well on 6 hours- dedicate midnight to 6 AM for sleep - giving you 2-3 hours before baby wakes. Use that time for online study. You can incorporate play time into your exercise by using baby as weight. You can also let baby play alone while you pack some things - give her a big ole pile of plastic cups, lids etc to play with while you pack dishes - the dog can wait until the packing and moving is done. Babies nap time can also be either dog time or reading time. Seems like you're OVER Multitasking - not smart multitasking. Breathe Mommy!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Try setting up a time limit on your online work, Like 3-4hours a day or so, and take a day like a friday or saturday to just relax and spend some time with your family.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You would be more productive if you got more sleep instead of using caffeine.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 6:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• YOu can't stay up all night every night for long..... How old is your daughter? I would have to know more about the situation to really come up with a plan, but you are right....You can't do it this way!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You don't need to play with your daughter every second. Shut her into the study room with you, or put her in a playpen with toys she only gets to play with in there in the study room, or even let her nap there in the playpen in the study room while you study, so that you can get study done during the day so you can sleep at night. When you cook, cook enough for several meals, even freezing portions that you can heat for other days. Keep kitchens and bathrooms clean for sanitation purposes, and except for cleaning up spills and straightening quickly in the evening, let some of the cleaning go. Get some fresh air every day- take the baby for a walk outside.

Answer by Bmat at 7:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think you need to grow up and get your act together. SOrry but I work full time, am in nursing school, have a 2 year old and am pregnant with number two. If you have all day at home, you should have more than enough time to accomplish all and get your homework done also. I do in between work and mothering. And most moms, not just the ones in schoool, dont have time for things like walking, biking, swimming, spending quiet time with family, pleasure reading, training my dog, getting other things on the to-do list done. Maybe you should schedule differently for yourself, but most of those other things should prolly be on hold until you finish school. The nthink about it, do you plan to work then? Will you really have more time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I love how rude people hide behind anonymous answers. Superwoman, are you, eh? I am wondering which part of your life suffers, I have to guess it is your children.

To everyone else- thank you for your suggestions! I will certainly use them when I am coming up with my own plan on how best to schedule everything in.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2009