I was just told I'm going to have to have a C-Section! HELP!!

Like most mothers, I'd planned almost to a tee how my labor and delivery was going to go. TERRIBLE IDEA! I was just told yesterday that because my baby is breeched, and because of my gestational diabetes, I'm going to have to have a Cesarean delivery. I'm absolutely terrified. My husband is in the army and scheduled to deploy within a week or two of my delivery. I don't really have a "support system" because we just moved here not too long ago. How hard do you think it will be to get by? Does it really take 6 weeks to be functional again? I don't have money to hire anyone to help, and somehow I feel like that would make me feel like less of a mother, but at the same time I want what's best for my baby. HELP! What should I do?!

ArmyM0mmy2Be

Asked by ArmyM0mmy2Be at 6:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, no Honey - you'll be fine. I had a c-section with my second child and DH was nowhere around. He didn't come home till baby was 4 months old. I did JUST FINE and you'll do just fine. Yes, you're sore, and yes having someone there would be helpful - but this is not something that can't be done on your own. You'll be able to lift baby (delicately), you'll be able to move about (delicately) but you'll be able to do it. Make sure that you ask for a MILD painkiller (if you are not going to breast feed) or make sure you talk to your doctor about doing this by yourself and ask for any help that the doc can offer by way of advice on managing your incision by yourself, that includes the pain. The pain won't be unbearable - but you'll know you've had a c-section for sure. A heat pad and epsom salt will help a lot. If you lived near me, I'd volunteer to come help you - sorry I don't. Good luck and it'll be okay - I promise.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It didn't ake me the full six weeks to be functional, but i was up and moving the day of my csection and everyday after even though it hurt. My suggestion is lay your lil one next to your bed in a bassinet or even co sleep and keep the pampers and wipes within reach your should do ok, it mainly hurt me going from sitting to standing, back to sitting or sitting to laying and laying to sitting. Other then that i was't in much pain. Not to mention i'm a single mom.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Nothing to worry about....I have had both and I will tell you that I was basically just as sore and uncomfortable after the natural delivery. I was feeling very close to normal within about a week after the c-section. If you are sore, you will just move a little slower. It will be fine.....really!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The worst days after my C-section were the first few, when I was still in the hospital, and even then, I would walk around as much as possible. By the time they sent me home, I was sore (particularly in the morning) but I was able to get around and do what I needed to. Remember, newborns sleep an awful lot of the time. That's a big help.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:13 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have to have a c- section with this pregnancy and i had one with my other two. they are not as bad as people make them to be. the best advice that I was given and it seemed to help was to get up and move around. Just be careful but they say that the more yoou move around the faster that you heal. You will do great. Just take it slow
    ajwkal

Answer by ajwkal at 7:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My only advice is to get a second opinion. I don't know much about gestational diabetes, but I do know people who have had it who have delivered vaginally.

In addition to that, there is RARELY a real reason to delivery via c-section just because of a breech baby. Doctors did it for years and now many doctors don't usually bother trying because they haven't been properly taught how, but it's very possible and is in fact now being recommended that doctors begin delivering breech babies vaginally again.

I spoke with my midwife about breech deliveries to make sure it was something she would do. She said in very RARE cases, they'll send someone over to OR for that. They'll try to turn the baby first, but if that doesn't work, they'll still plan to deliver with extra staff on hand.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• First, take a deep breath! Ahhhh, thats better. Now, birth plans are ridiculous. Not that there aren't smooth births every day, but it's impossible to plan how it's going to go down on the big day.

C-sections are not terrible. Take advantage of all the help you can get while DH is home, because your lift restriction is your baby. The more rest you get, the faster your recovery will be. Seriously, don't be SuperMom and Superwife. Let Dad do the dishes, laundry and cooking.

It is important to have some support in the first few weeks. I suggest looking into a Mother's Group in your area. You can meet new and experienced mothers with advice who may be able to help you out when they can. It doesn't make you a bad mother to ask for help, and you should not feel guilty if you need a break.
    What's best for your baby is a well-rested and healthy mother. So as often as possible get some rest, eat well and take care of you! GL!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with the pp that said to get a 2nd opinion. The only complication of "gestational diabetes" is a baby having a larger birth weight. Weight doesn't change head circumference. A 6lbs baby can have the same head size as a 9lbs baby. Also, the only reason a breech is an "automatic c-section" is because US dr.'s aren't trained in delivering them even though it's been proven that vaginal deliveries are safer. Sorry for being a victim of the system.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 8:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was in the same situation. I had my first child vaginally so I thought I was totally prepared. When I got to the hosptial and they decided to keep me, they gave me an ultrasound to make sure the baby was in position...she was breech as well. I looked at my boyfriend because I don't think he totally understood and started freaking out. And what made it worse was everything happened to fast! Within an hour of finding out, I was getting a spinal. The actual surgery was kind of strange. You can't feel any pain but you feel them moving around your insides (not trying to scare you!) which is weird. The first few days are the hardest but you'll be in the hosptial, on good pain killers and you'll have help. Once you're out, it may be tough. Just take it easy, take your pain meds and enjoy your new baby!! It took me about a week to feel close to normal...still sore, but better. Congrats and good luck!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 9:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Definitely get the second opinion, and check out spinningbabies.com for ideas on how to encourage a breech baby to turn.

Don't schedule the c-section. Wait until you go into spontaneous labor, and then you have to make your decision from there. A lot of babies turn at the last minute, and if the baby is taken before labor starts, you won't be giving the baby all the time he or she needs to get into the optimal position. Also consider what some of the previous posters have said--it is possible to deliver a breech baby vaginally. I don't know your particular circumstance, so I can't say whether or not you should attempt it yourself, I'm just saying that most breeches can be delivered vaginally.

I recovered from my c-section physically, but almost 3 months later, I'm still working on the emotional scar. Birth is not just a physical thing. It's spiritual, it's emotional, and it's worth considering that.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 9:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2009