sleep aids

does anyone recommend an herbal sleep aid that can help me out. I have a 5 month old but he does sleep okay most nights and Istill find myself taking 3 hours to fall asleep and then I wake up at least 4 times a night ater that. I am always TIRED, moody, and feel sick all day. I am not sure how healthy it would be to take something to help me sleep which is why I thought an herbal type pill might do the trick. I already lowered my caffiene intake and stop before dinner time...I try to stay off the computer for many hours before going to bed, and I go to sleep within half hour after my baby.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 7:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Health

• I find myself stressed out when I lay down in bed, cannot shut my mind off. I do breathing techniques that do not seem to be working...and then my son will get up a few times a night n talk to himself and then fall back asleep. that does not help but I should be able to get some sleep in between and instead lay there for hours, awaiting the next time he will wake up.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I find Melatonin works really well, it doesn't drug you (it's an herbal extract), so it feels like you fall asleep naturally and you have no problem waking up when you have to. I buy it at Dollar General for 6 dollars a bottle. Also, chamomile tea helps relax me about an hour before bedtime. good luck! I took the melatonin about an hour before bedtime (right after baby's bath but before his quiet time) and I would fall asleep about twenty minutes after he went to bed.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with plylerjones. I used to use melatonion. It doesn't make you tooo to tired just enough to relax.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Melatonin (the hormone your body produces in the dark to help you sleep) makes me goofy for two days.

I have had great success with valerian root and Rescue Remedy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I recommend Melatonin. My ADD son uses it and it works wonders. It takes about 45 min.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009