At what age did your child start brushing his or her own teeth?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 8:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 3 and he loves to brush his teeth. He does a fairly good job, although I like to still brush up after he is done.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Our dentist says we should allow him to brush his own teeth and then go back over them until he can write his name in cursive. We also use that mouth wash that colors the funk on his teeth to help him learn how to brush
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• mine too ..my 3 yo brushes her teeth and then we go behind to help.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Generally, a child doesn't have the ability to brush his teeth well on his own until first grade. However, my 19 month old will "brush" her teeth all day. My son really wanted to start brushing his teeth when he was 3 or so, and I have a friend whose 3 year old brushes his teeth every time he goes potty. Let him do it, but follow up afterward until you are sure that he can do it on his own. Also look into Listerine Smart Rinse and Inspector Hector rinse. The first is a post brush rinse that has flouride and no alcohol. It tints the pieces left behind to help you determine how well they brushed. The latter is a pre brush rinse that tint the plaque to help better teach how to brush to get it all cleaned.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My 3 year old does it herself. She loves brushing them, and she loves her dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The inspector hector rinse is good. I suggest to my patient to use after they brush and then see where they had missed.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009