How in the world is pineapple supposed to induce labor?

I dont understand.. everyone keeps telling me that.. and walking and sex and castor oil and pineapple... i get the walking and sex, but how is castor oil and pineapple supposed to induce you? that just sounds like another weird wifes tale to me.... or is there something in these two things that really does help induce you?

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can google anything, you know. :) Pineapple contains one of the same hormonal ingredients as semen, so it's "supposed" to help ripen your cervix. But just like all the other "natural induction methods", it only works when your baby is ready to come out.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• ok well castor oil is a laxative so its "supposed" to loosen things up. Dont do it, I did it and ended up on the toilet for a night, and no baby for another week. Pineapple, now thats a new one to me lol. There are dozens of old wives tales out there, but really, if the baby's not ready to come out, no matter how much sex, walking, oil or pineapple you have is going to budge it. Just enjoy your last few days in a quiet house (if this is your first) get all your rest, your going to need it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Haha! I have never heard that one. Walking and sex are very helpful because seminal fluid (and Primrose oil) soften the cervix. Walking is good because it relaxes the uterine muscles and helps the baby descend. Pineapple, you've got me there. I think we would all like to believe there is a magical delicious food that induces labor, but until they have some proof just imagine that your favorite food will help so that you can have as much as you want:) Truth is, every baby gets here exaclty on time, exactly when they are supposed to!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When I was a surrogate we all believed pineapple helped with implantation to become pregnant, not to go into labor. There was a reason, but i forgot. Something about the vitamin source, sorry I couldn't be more helpful
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• pineapple??? ok thats odd because i eat that ALL the time and im pregnant... if that was the case then i think i would of miscarried or something haha. i dont think its real. babies will come when they are ready.. dont rush it please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i think maybe if you shove a whole pineapple somewhere...that could have something to do with it...lmfao, other than that i dont see how it would indue labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Btw, in order for it to "work", it has to be fresh pineapple and you have to eat a whole lot of it. (Like, a WHOLE pineapple.)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Just a note on the pineapple. Supposedly only fresh works, not the canned kind. I guess the processing kills the chemical in it. It's got a natural prostaglandin in it (like semen) that softens the cervix. When I was five days late, I ate an entire fresh pineapple, jumped my husband, took a really long walk, took a senna tablet, and did five deep knee bends every hour. I went into labor at 2:30 the in the morning. Maybe it all worked, maybe he was just ready to come. Who knows?
    depsiua

Answer by depsiua at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009