Rapid eye blinking..is this a problem?

I just noticed this the other day with my 8yr old son. He was on the phone with his grandmother and she was asking him a question. He started to blink his eyes rapidly as he was concentrating on what she was saying. I noticed it again when I was helping out at school and he was working on a paper. He has always been a hyper child but have never noticed the eye thing? Am I worrying over nothing?

Alamama

Asked by Alamama at 9:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be a nervous issue. Or a concentration thing. Like when people like their lips rapidly when they are doing something. Or could he need glasses? My father always blinks rapidly when he is in deep conversation and after a few drinks.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I too agree with mamaada. It is a nervous issue. Just to be sure please call your Dr. and see what they say. It shouldn't be anything serious.
    Montylyn

Answer by Montylyn at 9:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Wait, before you dismiss your mother gut instinct, call your pediatrician and share this info with him/her. The reason I am suggesting you do this is because there is a form of seizure that are not characterized by convulsions but rapid and uncontrolled eye movements, it last a few seconds and it usually leaves the patient very tired afterward. The pediatrician most likely will recommend an EGG test to be done and a visit to the neurologist but if something was odd about what you saw it probably is. Follow your gut instinct and investigate. Google seizures and rapid move of eyes and you'll see what pop into my mind when I read your posting. I hope is nothing, I hope for the best for you and your son.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with bebita, call your doc and talk to him/her about it. It could be nothing but you never know. My son had the same thing at about age 4, took him to the ped, he said "take him to an optomotrist to be on the safe side." Did that and told "it's no big deal, some kids just go through it." I did when I was younger. However now I see he's doing it again. Could be a nervous habit but I'm going to be taking him back to the doc. Better safe than sorry.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009