Would you do this?

We are at the lowest we have been since being together, my DH isnt having luck with his business, i am working a fulltime job and having 49% of my wages each check taken for various reasons.

My DH asked me the other day if i would consider moving into a travel tralier for a few months to save on expenses and try to get a down payment together for a home.
My question is would you do this if you had children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• As long as it is short term only and the children are going to be safe there.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• As long as we were together, that's all that mattered but I agree it has to be in a safe area

Answer by admckenzie at 9:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would keep renting till his business get better. Sounds good to buy, but I think This is not a good time to buy for you guys. Sounds like you can not afford the expenses that come with buying a home.
    Wait take your time. Good luck
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Woo Wee that's a hard one! How many children? And how big of a travel trailer? And where you gonna park this trailer? What's the cost of the trailer ( pmt, elect, water, lot, etc) compared to your monthly expenses now? How much are you gonna save and what is the time frame for buying a home?

One year (with two kids) (in a reasonably sized trailer) (with significant savings per month) and a guarantee that at the end of one year we would either buy that house (and we would buy VERY smart) or we would move back into a rental and reevaluate - or come up with another plan.
    With 3 or more kids - I'd have some serious reservations - I'd choose instead to do without cable for a year, trade in my car for a lesser model or whatever else I had to do besides live in the travel trailer.
    Good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• you have to do what you have to do. If living in a trailer is going to save you from being out in the street, why not? A trailer is still a home, it's just not a big fancy one...You could try a smaller apartment also if that would work for you. It is so difficult to make it w/ 2 kids, and only one income. I work full time and my DH is on disability, and our Rent is high!!! i think we could do much better if we didn't live in such a high rent situation, but getting out of the situation would cost us also, as well as storing the stuff we have in our house...so...go figure. It's difficult to downsize...Make goals, and try to reach them weekly...don't make a huge goal that you might miss. Try to be reasonable...if you are serious about cutting down on major expenses...look at what is costing you the most money. So sorry you are having to go through this hard time :(
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do just to get by. I grew up really really poor and whever we lived, I was just thankful there was a roof over my head and a place to sleep. I know it is hard when you have younger kids and maybe you feel like you are letting them down, but you aren't. You are doing what needs to be done to better your future. Remember, tough times are only temporary. My kids are all grown now but I tell you what, my dad lives on 40 acres of Canadian wilderness and they have a travel trailer there that sleeps about 5 people and I would move into that thing in a heartbeat just to get out of the yucky city I'm in!
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 5:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009