Throwing up on an empty tummy?

I was on my way to work this a.m. and my 15 month old DD threw up a little, first i thought well she does have a stuffy nose and she is teething so maybe just all the extra saliva with the phlem caused her to gag?! Then she did it again.... this time it was like a bright yellow color..... she hasnt had anything to eat since 6pm last night ( she eats breakfast at daycare) so what would cause it to be yellow? she i call the doc? Typically they say not to bring her in unless its been 24 hours of vomiting and no food.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she has the stomach bug. Start her on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesause, toast). Clear liquids only too. If still vomiting after 24 hours and starts to run a temp, call the Doctor. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• First - why is 6 PM her last meal - babies that age need a snack before bedtime ( a healthy one - a small one - but still a snack). Second an empty stomach has nothing but bile and acid in it. Ever had "empty stomach burps" - your baby could be suffering the same kind of thing - and then again it could be something medical. I would certainly try her on a snack between 6PM and bedtime - if she still throws up take her to the doctor. As a matter of fact, don't take my word or any other mom's word as gospel about this - go ahead and call her doctor - follow their advice first.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's yellow because she has nothing in her tummy to throw up, so it's just the "acid" in her stomach. Mine was like that when I was pregnant and had morning sickness. I would stick with clear liquids and call her dr - I always call the nurse advice line when my kids throw up or have a fever, after 4 kids "Ruth" knows me quite well and I like it that way!
    I think a bedtime snack is a good idea, but if that's her normal routine and this is the first time she's thrown up I doubt if it's related at all.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My son's last meal is also around 6:00 and it is a very healthy habit to not eat snacks before bed. He goes to bed at 7:30/8:00....Why would he need to eat a snack after a healthy meal an hour before? If that is your routine, I wouldn't change it. It has been ours since before his first birthday and he is in the 70% for weight!

As for your question...it also sounds like a stomach bug to me, too. :( I hope she gets better fast!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• yellow is the stomac acid. Give her some light, bland foods first and see if you can get something in her tummy. If she starts eating after that, then don't worry about it too much. Just keep pushing fluids (small amounts at first) and easy on the tummy foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It could help to give her a little something right away in the AM - I know my son wakes at 6am and he eats at daycare at 8 but he still eats 2 full bowls of cereal and then eats all of his breakfast at daycare and he's super thin and tiny, she could also just be growing and needing more food?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I can tell you why its yellow.. theres so little in her system that she's bringing up bile from the top of her intestinal track.. happens to me all the time when I'm preggers
    Ranavan

Answer by Ranavan at 2:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Bile. It's possible it could be stomach acids. Bile is yellow. So if she had nothing to eat, she most likely threw up her stomach acids. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it's not letting up. She may just have an upset stomach or a bug.
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 3:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009