Christians and Alcohol

Would you be offended if a Catholic church hosted a German Fest and served alcohol? Local Catholic Church used to have it and it served pork chops and all kinds of German food and it had a beer garden. Other churches in the area were outraged....what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Catholic Faith serves WINE at Mass. Alcohol is NOT considered a sin
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended. We go to a huge Italian Festival in our area and they have a beer tent. Maybe other churches were outraged becuase it's against their religion. I agree w/zakysmom.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Oh, the Italian Festival is hosted by the church. Catholic Church.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Those Other churches need to get out of their Glass Houses
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Biblically speaking, there isn't anything wrong with drinking. The problem is with drunkenness. As long as the people who were serving the beer did so under the same sorts of guidance that most local restaurants and such have, which is they aren't allowed to serve guests that are obviously drunk, then I don't see a problem with it, but that's just me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• As long as I am invited I don't care!
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That's a tough one.

There is nothing wrong with alcohol in itself. There is something wrong with drunkeness. If they have not had a history of people becoming drunk at the event, I would not have a problem with it.

The other problem is the "appearance of evil." Even though nothing is wrong with alcohol (except drunkeness), Biblically speaking, if it causes other people to stumble, the church really shouldn't sponsor it as a whole (I apply Paul's comments about not eating food sacrificed to idols, if it causes others to stumble, even though nothing is wrong with eating the food in itself, to this situation). Alcohol is an addictive substance that can cause people to do stupid things; it also carries some social/religious taboos. If the surrounding community complains, I could say that it is indeed causing people to stumble.

There's no comparison to communion IMHO. That's not the same as drinking alcohol socially.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my nieces are devout catholics and drink heavily. at their weddings i could hardly keep up with priests at the bar. they were both drunk by 7pm and had to be driven home. the priest that performed the ceremony had a beer in the back room with the groom. unbelievable.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• were you trying to keep up with the priests at the bar? Judgemental much?

I believe Jesus attended a wedding where some heavy drinking was going on - his response was to make more wine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• oh yes, i'm very judgemental, thank you for noticing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2009