Do you have help when you're sick?

I have the flu and I have 2 small kids. 1 is in pres-k so at least I have the mornings with just 1 kid. But with the flu and not wanting to move and getting sick from both ends, I can't keep an eye on my kids very well. Both my parents work and my MIL hates me so she wouldn't help if I were on my death bed. So who helps you when you're sick? And I mean REALLY sick, like with the flu, not just a regular cold. I ask because my hubby owns a business and is always almost an hour late to work. Taking our son to pre-k wouldn't put him behind his normal schedule by more than 10 min and he refuses to take him. I only asked today because I'm so sick and he acts like I asked him to do the most unimaginable thing on earth. I also asked him to come home from work when he closes his shop instead of working late to help with the kids. He finds this request unacceptable and says other moms suck it up so I should too. I do but I have the FLU.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Health

• My dad and step mom are retired, so they watch my duaghter when I'm sick. My mom and rest of the family will help too if they can get time off. I have a friend that will also help out.

Try the local college and see if there are any nursing students who will be your back up day care for when your kids are sick. 1. They will be caring for sick people at some point so should be used to it or need to get used to it and 2. they have great training for caring for the sick. :)

I think your hubby needs a switft kick in the butt! If you are sick you need help. You won't get better any faster by him staying away and forcing you to deal with it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My mom or MIL help out. I'm not sick - my oldest 2 are but my baby hasn't caught it so his grandmother has him today to keep him away from my older 2 in the hopes he won't catch it. Also, when I'm sick my husband has even been known to call in sick if my kids were going to be home from school (on break or teacher workday). Now, my ex wouldn't have lifted a finger to help me but my current husband is extremely kind and understanding.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If youre around family thats great and i would ask for a little help. If you are like me we live 10 hours from family and my husband isnt allowed out of work.. no work no pay :( So i literally do suck it up and deal. I bring toys in the living room and put in movies and just plop on the couch and let my daughter play. Get out a drink and some snacks so you dont have to get up for a while. I lay down in my bed with my daughter and get her to lay down with me. Or bring in a coloring book and I'll lay in bed and she colors in bed with me.. she normally ends up just falling asleep anyways ha! And when youre hubby does get home tell him you need to rest and to please watch the kids.. its the least he could do!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It sounds like you have food poisoning. If I was that sick, my husband would take a sick day and take care of the kids and me.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009